Early Bose speaker value? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2008, 06:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Early Bose speaker value?

I have searched high and low and have not found anything on the internet or here.
i have a friend who is in his 70's that has from new the following items, i will try to get pictures as soon as possible.:

bose 2201 loudspeakers 4 total.
( i have flipped them over and seen the I.D. plates)
excellent condition, factory repaired some time ago( they shipped them back in some accoustimass boxes)

and 1 pair of bose 901 series 1
i did not look at the tag on these , i need to ask him if he has a amp? that came with or was purchased with them.

as he is old he wants to sell off his older equipment so i am helping him out, he also has some older fisher speakers and a mcintosh pre amp from that era as well.
any help on the bose would be appreciated.
Old 27th October 2008, 07:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The older 901's should have the cloth surrounds and last forever. If your friend also has the equalizer that goes with his 901's, they should be worth a few hundred dollars.
Old 29th October 2008, 01:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

oh and the 901's are in there along with the preamp he uses with the 2201's he doesnt have the equalizer for the 901's anymore.
Old 29th October 2008, 03:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

here is a link to kodak galleries as i am not too smart on this camera in figuring out how to get the photos into my desktop instead of the kodak system you dont need to buy anything toview them:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...localeid=en_US
Old 29th October 2008, 03:55 AM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The Bose 2201 is extremely rare, these were made only for a year (1966) and pre-date the 901 by a couple of years. I recollect the story was that only about 20 (more or less) of these were ever made - so you have some definite Bose history there. You might want to contact Bose and find out whether they might potentially be interested in acquiring them.

In any case they were quite expensive by the standards of the day.. You could certainly put them on Audiogon or eBay as historically interesting speaker systems.

And they appear to be in very good condition, a plus for collectors.

Of the equipment shown they are by far the most unique. Don't be misled by the serial # either - I don't think they actually started at 0. Bose was a tiny company with just a couple of employees when these were put together. (This is their very first, and not commercially successful audio product.)

Hide this!Advertise here!