Speaker repair..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Firstly this is all pretty new to me. A few years ago a bought a surround sound speaker set from A1-Audio, Whatmough monitors in fact. They have been brilliant, but I have kids that have been known to poke their little fingers into the cones and even occasionally knock the tall speakers over (different problem which I will address with suction cups on the floor I think). Anyway, moving these beasts around today I heard something heavy drop inside the box, so I removed the speaker cone only to find the magnet had dropped off the back of the cone. The magnets are made in France and labelled HP170Z2. I am hoping that I can simply glue the magnet back onto the basket (it has 5 holes for alignment) and all is better again, however I have no idea what sort of adhesive I should be using. If this fails I will be needing to get a replacement HP170Z2 from somewhere (which I have searched on but found nothing concrete). Can anyone give advise on what sort of adhesive I should be using and where I might get it (Bunnings would be great).

Cheers

Steve

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Strange question :) Just a thought, some speakers for AV use are magnetically shielded so they don't interfere with CRT tv's etc.
This is often another magnet glued to the back of the main speaker magnet. Does the speaker still work ? If it is a "shielding" magnet, this works by giving a magnetic field that cancels the field from the main magnet so I guess correct orientation is required. If you have no CRT's nearby leave it off.
Epoxy glue probably best perhaps !

http://www.hautparleur.fr/_audax/hp170z2.pdf

Hi,

Make sure the magent is replaced in the same orientation it fell off.
With 5 holes there are 5 possibilities of replaced orientation.

This is assuming the voicecoil has not be distorted, if it has it will
rub. Sometimes it is possible to coax it back round and straight.
But you cannot do this after reglueing the magnet, inspect carefully.

:)/sreten.

Thanks guys. I spoke to a friend at work who also suggested Epoxy. No the speakers do not currently work, there is only 1 magnet per cone. I had actually come across that PDF in my searches, it doesnt help much in terms of getting an exact replacement though. I will probably buy something similar locally (any suggestions??) if my glueing does not work.

Cheers

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Have you contacted Colin Whatmough at A-1 audio about the problem?? He usually does a 5 year warranty on his speakers and if it is within that 5 years he should fix it as a warranty reoair, if not you may be lucky and he may have a sparedriver in his workshop, call him he is a reasonable bloke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.