beware of Audigy sound cards...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I'm taking preliminary measurements on a pair of PHL mid-bass's in Arta, when, all of a sudden, my cheapo Audigy sound card drop its output level to almost nothing. I reboot my PC and try it over... out of nowhere, I find myself immersed in a 120 dB wail from hell that had me diving for the nearest interconnect. The output was high enough to drive the card's out put into very audible clipping. If I had been testing a tweeter, it would have been toast. :hot:

I now understand why sounds like this are used in state-sponsored torture.

A quick Google of the terms "Audigy" and "squeal" pulled up plenty of discussions about the "Audigy squeal of death". Evidently, when its chip lands on memory that is taken up by something else, it locks up and throws a tantrum that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

I am now using an m-audio 2496, having learned my lesson.

Buyer beware.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I have an Audigy 2 SE in my test computer. The only problem I've been having is that it wants to record in "what you hear" on start-up and I need to de-select and reselect the correct settings in the record control panel.
Other than that, it works great. Low distortion for RMAA testing.

I haven't had the squeal you describe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.