10" two way - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2008, 09:04 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to John_E_Janowitz Send a message via MSN to John_E_Janowitz Send a message via Yahoo to John_E_Janowitz
Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
Though, I dont know why, but I never experience much excursion, mostly hardly any at all

Then you need to play louder.

John
Old 26th October 2008, 09:21 PM   #22
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

John

For wide dispersion goals i.e. flat flange dome tweeters in a 3way design using normal cone drivers.
Isn't it better to let a higher Le woofer be a woofer i.e. limit upper BW to below 300Hz? In this case Le and it's variations will be absorbed or minimized by the large series crossover inductor.

On a side note
Have you seen a correlation between Le and say maybe 30 deg. or more offaxis response of a 10" woofer? Any other thing you can say about Le and freq response would be appreciated.
Old 27th October 2008, 06:37 AM   #23
GOWA is offline GOWA  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Godzilla
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=817

I like how this driver can be used without a crossover. The natural roll off works for me. Just blend an appropriate tweeter and your done. I wish it was 92 or 93 db tho.

Don't you think it's a bit short on power handling?
Old 27th October 2008, 02:39 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

John, but how do you know that seas's 3mh inductance is not constant throughout it's coil travel? I think we can't tell it without klippel measurements. Or high inductance automatically tells us that it's not constant?
Old 27th October 2008, 04:59 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to John_E_Janowitz Send a message via MSN to John_E_Janowitz Send a message via Yahoo to John_E_Janowitz
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterTwister
John, but how do you know that seas's 3mh inductance is not constant throughout it's coil travel? I think we can't tell it without klippel measurements. Or high inductance automatically tells us that it's not constant?

Any inductance will change with excursion. The only way to avoid this is to keep the "core" the same. As the driver comes forward the windings in the coil go past the end of the pole piece unless the pole is largely extended, which in the case of the seas it is not. As windings get past the end of the pole, the core is becoming aircore and the inductance changes. The same goes for the steel on the outside of the coil. As the coil is centered in the gap it has a given amount of steel next to it on the outside. As the coil travels and the bottom of the coil goes up into the gap, again the amount of steel next to it is changing as well. The only way to truly correct this is to make it act like an aircore at all points.

The copper sleeve on the pole essentially does this. "With this permanently mounted highly conductive layer, any flux movement creates large currents (Eddy Currents) that can now short themselves out. Rather, the magnetic flux lines are electrically shorted to their original location and cannot move now. Hence the devices used for this are called Shorted Turns or Faraday Rings. The benefit is a great reduction of distortion and overall inductance of the driver, as well as linear inductance throughout the stroke."

John
Old 7th November 2008, 11:06 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Getting back on tract maybe crossing to a 10" woofer around 1200hz might be better accomplished with a small array of tweeters. Say 3.
Think I saw an M&K monitor once that did this. Might power taper the outside 2 tweeters and lowpass them so they were helping more with the upper mid range, sort of an MTM using tweeters?
I think 3 relatively inexpensve tweeters might work then for the 1200hz crossover.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s150.jpg (51.1 KB, 575 views)
Old 8th November 2008, 12:09 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

If I were going to use a 10" in a 2-way I would use a 2" wide band crossed 800-1000Hz to minimize cones break-up distortions and directivity losses; RLC certainly needed with the CA26RE4X IMO.
Old 8th November 2008, 09:42 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 10" two way

Quote:
Originally posted by johnmark

I always liked the sound of a 10" two way for classic rock and these drivers might make a nice larger stand mount/ bookshelf type speaker.
Maybe a variovent type enclosure to keep volume reasonable.
I use a 4 by 10 inch cabinet for my rock guitar.

I also use it on a mobile disco in conjunction with a 18 inch bass cabinet.

The guitar benefits from a good midrange loudspeaker box.
Old 8th November 2008, 10:48 PM   #29
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

I recently completed these:

Click the image to open in full size.

They are based on Earl Geddes Nathan design but built with much cheaper components. Namely, B&C DE10-8 compression driver, Dayton HR10RW waveguide, Selenium ADM25-25 adapter, Eminence Beta 10a. Gedlee HOMless Foam Plugs.

I am using a ESP P09b electronic crossover, crossing at 2.2khz but am about to change that to 1.8khz. They are already sounding very nice. Just tinkering and doing the final touches now

col.
Old 9th November 2008, 01:27 AM   #30
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnmark
Getting back on tract maybe crossing to a 10" woofer around 1200hz might be better accomplished with a small array of tweeters. Say 3.
Think I saw an M&K monitor once that did this. Might power taper the outside 2 tweeters and lowpass them so they were helping more with the upper mid range, sort of an MTM using tweeters?
I think 3 relatively inexpensve tweeters might work then for the 1200hz crossover.

Not at 1.2KHz!... and if done properly at 1.7KHz or so, would require complex Xover circuitry. IMO adding more cheaper tweeters makes issues much worse.
What is your expectation for a 10" 2 way other than desired Xover point? Are you going to do the Xover design for your creation?

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyhub
If I were going to use a 10" in a 2-way I would use a 2" wide band crossed 800-1000Hz to minimize cones break-up distortions and directivity losses; RLC certainly needed with the CA26RE4X IMO.
This is an option that could yield better results than most suggestions depending on it's final application. But sensitivity would most probably end up much lower to match a modern extended response 2" or 3" cone.

Hide this!Advertise here!