Do we really belive that the goal is to reproduce live music?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dream on.

dave

Joe Rasmussen made a very interesting observation that you should flatten the impedance plot as much as you can. He likes Zobels and LCR impedance equalisation.

Then it really doesn't matter what you drive a speaker with, voltage or current. I have taken this on board, and avoid extreme lumps and bumps in impedance these days. A nice bell curve if I can, being in the transistor camp. You could then add an LCR impedance equaliser easily enough for valve use.

You can usually fiddle about with a filter and attenuator for optimum damping and smoothest impedance. You are giving the amp an easy ride. :cool:

Last edited:
I've been having much more fun with high efficiency designs than the regular inefficient HiFi boxes.
And the reason for this is that the latter force conventional amplifiers to work in their 'stress' region - easy to hear that the system is not working properly, so one simple solution is to apply really efficient speakers, and the amplifier then never has to get out of first gear ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.