Anybody try the new MCM 55-3595?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought 6 of these a few months back for ~$12 each after MCM's discounts and was wondering if anybody else has tried playing with them. As is mentioned on John K.'s site the new cast alloy baskets this series uses is excellent, strong with LOTS of ventilation. I chose the paper cone variant for two reasons, A. I wanted to run full range, rolling off naturaly at 10khz and B. The paper cone is VERY light with the same motor structure as the much heavier unshielded alloy cone variant. I was a little put off by the so-so FR graph but figured with a little modification things might improve.

So far these little guys have performed very well. I turned one pair into coaxials using Tang Band's 1/2" tweeter mounted on top of the pole piece inside a copper fitting. Imaging was great but lets face it such a tiny tweeter can't compete with conventional 3/4"+ domes. After mounting an SEAS 27TBFC/G along side one MCM the difference was obvious, even with just a crude filter the SEAS slaughtered the TB in evey way. So the TB's came out and phase plugs went in along with a spiral shaped cyanoacrylate cone treatment. So far I still feel these drivers have great potential, I have not yet measured them (need a new sound card) but the subjective impression is overwhelmingly positive. As the power to weight ratio would suggest they sound "fast"and are fairly articulate. The downside is limited Xmax and a highish fs so a dedicated low frequency driver is required. I would not hesitate to recomend these for anyone looking for a good well behaved, extended range driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.