Zu Audio Definition, how do they do it? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2008, 01:02 AM   #1
DaveCan is offline DaveCan  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Zu Audio Definition, how do they do it?

All the reviews are always favorable it would seem, they pack all this into a sealed cab 49''x12.8''x12.5'', weigh 101lbs, sens at 1w 1m is 101db and they reach down to 16hz... How do they do it, and all these reviewer's cannot be on the take you would think? I'd love to hear these cabs even though I could never afford them, but they would be fun to try and clone for DIY
http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers....&category_id=1
Dave
Old 19th October 2008, 01:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's a review, and also there will be one coming up soon at 6moons
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...definitons.htm

I'd love to try and build something like this, maybe with just one full range in the front instead of two?, use all the same kind of approach and thinking and hopefully have some luck? Any thoughts on drivers that could be used to get halfway close in design keeping with the paper cone principle?

The full range drivers have no x-overs on them and the tweeter has a 6db/octave high-pass silver/oil caps no resistive elements. There is no low frequency array network and the sub amp has 40hz center 12db/octave (contoured below 40hz) I think also the woofers at the back are paired into two different sized chambers...

Dave
Old 19th October 2008, 01:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The speakers have built in amplifiers for the woofers... and probably equalised ("countoured below 40Hz")
Old 19th October 2008, 03:53 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Do they make their own drivers, or are those sourced externally?
Old 19th October 2008, 05:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think the drivers are made to their spec by Eminence..

I shouldn't have used the word ''clone'', what I meant was making a cab like the Zu Definition with the same principles and style but not an exact copy, wouldn't work anyhow as the drivers are made to their spec and not off the shelf etc.. I wonder if the reason to have the top two rear woofers in a smaller chamber compared to the bottom two is for better mid bass presence and the bottom two closer to the floor get ya down deep in the bigger chamber?, sounds good to me
Dave
Old 19th October 2008, 05:18 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Maybe the Presence would be easier to take on instead of the Definition?
http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/presence.html

I wonder what 10'' drivers by Eminence are used for the subs in these cabs?. They are high eff and used below resonance ?
Dave
Old 19th October 2008, 05:44 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The tweeters look almost exactly like these to start http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-530

Dave
Old 19th October 2008, 05:52 AM   #8
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCan
Maybe the Presence would be easier to take on instead of the Definition?
http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/presence.html

I wonder what 10'' drivers by Eminence are used for the subs in these cabs?. They are high eff and used below resonance ?
Dave

Its likely they are all custom spec.. Eminence can do this in a fairly low "lot" size (minimum 50 units I think).

The 10" bass drivers? Don't know - but you can guarantee that they are being eq'ed below resonance (and probably above it as well).

The 10" "fullrange" driver however was the old Legend BP 102, which is very efficient (97 db on average), has additional gain above and *below* the 400-1k region with extension that reached out to above 10 kHz near the average of 97 db. (..of course from around 1k to 7k it was "hot" and needed some attenuation, the "midrange/midbass bump" below 400 Hz worked well with baffle step loss.)

Rather suspiciously - the old Legend BP 102 was canceled soon after Zu was doing well. ..And a few months latter we had the new BP 102.

I think the reason they do well in some reviews is that:

1. they are a LOT more efficient than standard hi-fi fare.

2. because of 1, they are a lot more "dynamic" sounding.

I'd bet though that they also have a lot of faults, such as considerably diffuse imaging, freq. aberrations, less perception of clarity from poor linear decay at upper mid to treble, etc..
Old 19th October 2008, 05:59 AM   #9
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveCan
The tweeters look almost exactly like these to start http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=290-530

Dave
Yup, that's the tweeter with some minor Zu factory mods including a small waveguide.
Old 19th October 2008, 06:04 AM   #10
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG

Rather suspiciously - the old Legend BP 102 was canceled soon after Zu was doing well. ..And a few months latter we had the new BP 102.

I think the reason they do well in some reviews is that:

1. they are a LOT more efficient than standard hi-fi fare.

2. because of 1, they are a lot more "dynamic" sounding.

I'd bet though that they also have a lot of faults, such as considerably diffuse imaging, freq. aberrations, less perception of clarity from poor linear decay at upper mid to treble, etc..
Hmm.. I'd agree with your rather polite assement on these. Wizzer cones combined with phase plugs ... can you say "beaming".
image from the web site blog.. shows sweet spot localization?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image003.jpg (22.8 KB, 755 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!