what mid is used in kef coda 7? isit B110?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
i've been searching the internet hi and low.... ok here's the thing, i compete in iasca soundquality vehicle autosound competitions, i ripped a set of woofers from a set of kef coda 7 speakers i had, and i have placed and won every competition i enter ever since!

The others all use 6" woofers in their vehicles to get more midbass, little do they know that in most vehicles u cannot build large enough enclosures (kickpanels) for 6" woofers.

The woofers i have are 5.25" treated paper cone, the closest i can find and the woofer that seems the closest match seems to be the KEF B110.... the photos everything looks alike.

except for one thing, mine have a DC resistance of 3.9ohm... while the datasheets i find list over 7ohm for dc resistance... i know the kef coda 7's were mid 90's speakers...
i also know that there were as many as 3 or 4 variants of the B110 midwoofer...

i could be wrong, but like i said the B110 woofer from kef seems to be the closest match....

i want to get the T/S parameters/datasheet for the woofer, im now running multiple amplifiers in my vehicles and have ditched the passive crossovers i used (also from kef coda 7 cabinets)
running fully active variable 24db/oct crossovers...

i need to set the crossover point, now i know the kef coda 7's were originally 3500hz presumably at 6db/oct

its for example no use...oh im running 2 way in front... its for example no use crossing over my tweeter @ 4000hz if the kef mids cant reach that high...

i will tune to 3.5khz for now...perhaps crossover the tweeters then @ 3k.

any info or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

if my assumption of the B110 woofer is correct, a response graph would be great...because if its frequency response is upto 3500hz surely there is a rolloff at that point,
then perhaps cross over point of 3k would be better?

cheers
anton
cape town
south africa

hi there

hi there
here is how the woofer looks

IMG_0029-1.jpg

IMG_0028-1.jpg

IMG_0033-1.jpg

looks remarkeably like a b110 ? but then just cause the basket is the same and the cone i suppose it doesnt mean anything...

the basket of the 1st gen b110 looks a little different, but look at the 3rd gen b110?
i think there was a 4th gen b110...

btw, the pdf of the woofer you sent me looks totally different to this..

how sure are you?

These sure do bare a remarkable resemblence to the 4 ohm Polydax HIF 17 JS 2 CA 12 bass/mid used in the famous Spica TC50 and 50i speakers. OD of the frame is 172 mm if that helps. Spica also coated the cones themselves.

The bad news is this woofer is no longer available from Audax, Polydax's new owner. You'll have to try and find some on ebay if that looks to be a good match.

look at the basket of my speakers, they are wider than the magnet... much like b110
please note.. me not argueing just trying to work out the mystery

the kef coda 7's are gems of speakers.. the midwoofer is also a semi long throw design..
thats y they can handle the punishment...

I almost agree with SpeakerDoctor. Looks like an Audax to me too, but perhaps of the type HIF13something. There have been endless variants built on this basis and they were often used by British manufacturers, including I think in the famous LS3/5A (or some of its commercial clones). Could be that Kef too have used Audax. For obsolete models like these, I would try my chance on ebay.fr or ebay.de where there is quite a lot of old speakers of this kind to be found.
Good luck!
(PS: a search with HIF13 on the Internet gives quite many results).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.