Orions sound great because dipole? - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2008, 05:16 AM   #501
diyAudio Member

I think you will find that to come at all close to the experience of hearing a tenor or soprano at close range you will need vastly more acoustic output than the Orion (or any other speaker with typical sensitivity) can deliver, even with the most powerful amplifier it can tolerate.
You will need to add 10 dB of sensitivity and/or move the decimal one to the right in terms of watts of drive available, to come close.
Old 1st December 2008, 05:41 AM   #502
diyAudio Member

That's disappointing. Now I wish I had had a decibel meter with me, I would love to know what the sound volumes were.

I did not experience the slightest discomfort or hearing pain; far from it. I certainly did not experience any temporary deafness afterward; if anything, there was a heightened acuity of hearing...but that was, I think, because I had become sensitized to the approximately 2800 Hz "ring" in a well-trained, talented voice.

I do find headphones irritating, even supposedly very good ones with a perfectly decent amp; I wish I knew why or how to fix it.

But what you've said makes me think even more strongly about the 1,000 watt amp I've been thinking of making. Not to play at 1,000 watts, of course, but to have the massive amounts of headroom.

Then, of course, the speakers would have to be able to handle the transients without breaking up or literally catching fire. (I did "smoke" an array of speakers once, driving them from a 900 volt mu-stage, pentode over triode, having goofed and forgotten to put two 500 volt electrolytics in series between the output and the speakers....the single 500 volt 'lytic promptly blew up, sending a jet of steam to the ceiling, and shorted, so the close to half an amp at eight hundred or so volts made all the voice coils simultaneously so red hot the paper cones started smoking!.....the array was about 150 identical small speakers all in series, so the output stage saw an impedance of about 1.2 Kilohms. It had possibilities, that, but the speakers were cheap and nowhere near full-rangers...the same idea with 150 really good full-rangers all in series, so there's no need for an OPT, would probably work fabulously, if one could afford it.)

I was planning on using a woofer in the dipole capable of a 1,000 watts, with 100 dB sensitivity (a 21" monster), but the problem is the full-range driver. I could make a vertical line array with four 6.5" FR's to at least get to several hundred watts of capability, but there goes the point source concept (although the Beethoven certainly is not pretending to be a "point-source" speaker...but perhaps with OB design it's not so important).

In the designs at Common Sense Audio with FR's it's all about point-source, but, as you say, I cannot get the "full immersion" effect I want, probably, from a single FR per channel. My budget limits me to things like Audio Nirvana's, so I have to figure out a compromise that will work.

Along the lines of hedonism rather than accuracy, I wonder what would happen if I made a graphic equalizer, just for the frequencies from 2700 to 3000 Hz, and tuned the system to emphasize the ring of the singer's voice? I am sure what I experienced in that room was total immersion in the approx. 2800 to 3000 Hz overtone in the operatic voice.

As Duke Ellington said (this will be like waving a red flag in front of some members): "If it sounds good, it is good."

Best, Charlie
Old 1st December 2008, 05:45 AM   #503
diyAudio Member

I was once in a very live room, a classroom of mine. The walls were cinderblock and there was very little damping - hard desks and chalkboards... but the ceiling may have been acoustic tile; I'm not sure. Anyway, we had a soprano perform, and even near the back of the room (approximately 6-8 meters away from her) the SPL was terribly, uncomfortably high.

EDIT: It hurt my ears.

EDIT2: If a system is nominally 90dB/1W@1m...

at 110dB at 1 m, you need 100W
at 120dB at 1 m, you need 1000W (neglecting power compression effects)
at 120dB at 2 m, you need 4000W
at 120dB at 3 m, you need ~10000W

Putting the system in a room will decrease the quantities somewhat, but the math is pretty clear. But, if we start with a system that's 100dB/1W@1m...

at 110dB at 1 m, you need 10W
at 120dB at 1 m, you need 100W
at 120dB at 2 m, you need 400W

EDIT3: The drivers need to have sufficient excursion within their respective passbands to make this power-limited SPL possible
Old 1st December 2008, 05:57 AM   #504
diyAudio Member

Perhaps I was in a lucky spot. I was off to the side, the singer was singing toward the side wall, not right at me. And the room was full of rug, paintings, a piano, furniture...undoubtedly not as bright.

The soprano you heard might have been a bit on the shrill side, too. I have heard sopranos who were overly bright - or sang with a bit of a tense voice, and their tone did make me uncomfortable. But none of the ones I heard in McClosky's studio. Not even the Wagnerian soprano who literally made the windows shake.

Anybody who has been to a Messiah has, I'm sure, noticed the "light-house" effect of a soloist who sweeps the room while singing; as the focus of their voice sweeps over you and then passes, it's rather like a spot-light rotating, or, more aptly, a train going by.

454Casull, if four 6.5" FR's were driven simultaneously, in phase of course, in a vertical line array, with 96 dB sensitivity (1W/1M), at 2 or 3 meters out and the array curved slightly so they more or less merge into one source, how would one calculate what the equivalent sensitivity would be?

Best, Charlie
Old 1st December 2008, 06:08 AM   #505
diyAudio Member

I heard a system just the other day which underlined for me the inadequacy of much I have listened to of late in terms of mid range dynamics capability.
It was able to reproduce the sound of a 12 voice choir I had recorded where the voices were about 6 feet from the single stereo microphone and the singing style was in the Bulgarian tradition - slightly harsh. When listening at a distance of 5 feet from the speakers (as I do when mixing) I was able - just - to reach approximately real levels without the obvious distortion my current monitor delivers when attempting the same.
The key design characteristic of the speaker was the mid range driver - that it had one, and that it was called upon to cover only a modest range - 650Hz to 3.3kHz. It was a soft dome, and the speaker was internally tri-amplified with a line level crossover (24 dB per octave slopes).

The speaker was the Klein + Hummel 0300 and it made me wonder about the divergence of home and "pro" speakers, in that I wondered how a system could be configured to match the performance I heard for a lower retail price.

I don't think it could be done with any components I am aware of, so I'm buying these, with the 0800 sub.

I imagine the Summas would be better still, but would be overkill for my needs and listening distance, plus the size of these and weight (30lb each, including amps) is a bonus as I can take them to certain remote recording sites.
Old 1st December 2008, 06:17 AM   #506
poptart is offline poptart  Canada
diyAudio Member

To the people wanting to use this thread to talk about Orion cloning, I do apologize for the off topic stuff. The Summa talk that's bothering you lately was the Orion talk three years ago. I keep thinking everything that could possibly be said about Orions has been by now but I know it's not for me to decide. Many people were inspired by them and have built not quite clones, but similar speakers. Do search the archives and read Linkwitz and John K's sites cover to cover because I think you'll find them much more concentrated sources of the information you seek then yet another orion thread in the middle of all this noise.
Old 1st December 2008, 06:48 AM   #507
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by radianceaudio

I looked at the picture of the Orions...and I do think one could easily approximate the construction, although the depth at which the woofer is placed (I believe it's an "H" enclosure at the bottom but please correct me if I'm wrong) is hidden.

I still find it odd that both the Orion and the Beethoven do not round the edges of everything...I would think the diffractions would detract from the clarity.

Yes the "box" dimensions are available, but not the curves. In regards to diffraction I'm not sure if you've explore this study?

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/diffraction.htm

Basically SL concluded that edge diffraction is overrated.
Old 1st December 2008, 07:06 AM   #508
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by radianceaudio
454Casull, if four 6.5" FR's were driven simultaneously, in phase of course, in a vertical line array, with 96 dB sensitivity (1W/1M), at 2 or 3 meters out and the array curved slightly so they more or less merge into one source, how would one calculate what the equivalent sensitivity would be?

Best, Charlie
How will you wire them? All in series? All in parallel?
Old 1st December 2008, 09:04 AM   #509
Pan is offline Pan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Russell Dawkins
I think you will find that to come at all close to the experience of hearing a tenor or soprano at close range you will need vastly more acoustic output than the Orion (or any other speaker with typical sensitivity) can deliver, even with the most powerful amplifier it can tolerate.
You will need to add 10 dB of sensitivity and/or move the decimal one to the right in terms of watts of drive available, to come close.
Not at all. The most powerful singers put out 100-110dB at 1 meter which means about 90-100dB at 3 meters. I don't know how much gain the performance hall would give but say 10dB+ and we are back at 100-110dB.. and that is LOUD. I do not enjoy a soprano going all out at that distance, 5-6 meter minimum.

The Orion's midrange units are among the lowest distortion drivers on the market and used in pairs (which effectively is the case for a solo-singer placed in the middle of the soundstage) you get 6dB extra output and the listening room add some as well.

The 100-110dB output from a soprano is not in the bassrange (in the bass range s singer has much less output) and one W22 driver can put out 136dB at 400Hz in a small box/baffle. Reduce a couple of dB for the open baffle.

The sensitivity is 90dB/2.83V/1m so 100W-300W amp power would be enough.

If we are talking choir or a jazz drumset we may run into trouble though, but that depends on material and recording distance.

/Peter
Old 1st December 2008, 09:06 AM   #510
DanDini is offline DanDini  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AJinFLA

Hi Dan,

If you could be so kind, please do not interrupt this thread with posts relevant to the subject. I find the recent woo woo world audio tarot stuff far more entertaining. Thanks.

cheers,

AJ
Yes, sorry I did think after that I should have posted somewhere more, airy, or is it less veiled?

I'll butt out now.

Cheers,

Dan

Hide this!Advertise here!