rs 150 mtm with series x-over

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You're definitely going to want to "audition" this one before you glue those crossover parts down.

I'm not saying a series XO can't be done with the RS150, I just haven't seen one.

But a 1st order XO is really only ideal for drivers that have a REALLY flat response. Take a look at drivers like the Vifa, Peerless, and Seas poly cones. For instance, something like the Vifa P13 would be the IDEAL woofer for a 1st order XO:
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/PDF/vifa/p13wh-00-08e.pdf

The Vifa tweeter you have chosen is good for a 1st order. As Andy G would say: "low Fs and bulletproof."

I have only done with design with the RS150, and it does sound really good. But I was only able to cross it about 1800, due to the massive cone breakup of the aluminum cone. I couldn't really get it any higher without some sort of notch trickery like Lou C did on his Ruby design.

Anyway, I don't think I have the guts to do a series XO with the RS drivers... if I somehow figured it out, it'd be at least a 2nd or 3rd order.
Good news is, if you decide to go parallel, that tweeter will probably cooperate.

I understand that the P13 MTM would not have enough bass. :D

Its hard for me to comment on driver prices because I'm over here, but some of the Peerless drivers are very usable with series x-o.

Look for poly or paper cones if you want to use low order x-o or look at some of the designs at HTGuide or PE showcase which have the x-o designed for you. They are sometimes quite budget minded.

Re: rs 150 mtm series x-over

renisnceman said:
Thanks for the feedback. I built an mtm with the P13 and 1st order series. I'm looking for a little bit more bass in a 1 cu. ft cabinet- any recommendations on 6.5" woofers that have smoother response and won't break the bank?

Thanks.

Hi,

Convert your MTM to 1st order series top M and T.
Use the bottom M as a 0.5way driver for BSC.
You will need to pad back the tweeter.
Guaranteed more bass, but less mid/treble sensitivity.
Might be too much bass if too near walls.

A first order series has difficulties with BSC and hence bass.

The smoothest 6.5" I've seen is the Seas P18RNXP.

:)/sreten.

Re: Re: rs 150 mtm series x-over

sreten said:

Hi,

Convert your MTM to 1st order series top M and T.
Use the bottom M as a 0.5way driver for BSC.
You will need to pad back the tweeter.
Guaranteed more bass, but less mid/treble sensitivity.
Might be too much bass if too near walls.

A first order series has difficulties with BSC and hence bass.

The smoothest 6.5" I've seen is the Seas P18RNXP.

:)/sreten.

yeah, but I still think he will struggle getting decent bass out of the P13.

What he could do is convert it to something like Blackwood (but not open back).. Find a reasonably sensitive bass driver and use the 3 way cascade series. http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gradds55/SeriesXO/series_cross-overs8a.htm

Again , I can't help much with drivers, although I have been thinking of trying one of the Peerless sds 10". They look like they would work with a low order x-o.

thankfully I wasn't able to get that Seas woofer over here, otherwise that would have been yet another speaker I would have had to build ! :xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.