Man Cave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Got 4 JBL 2360 / 2446j horns running now. Just stuck 2 of them in the bottom 210's 'cause I don't have drivers in there yet. Hope to get my Altec 515's reconed by x-mas. Can't wait to get everything up and running.........

IMG_5075.jpg

IMG_5079.jpg

Hornz

Can't believe how much of a difference it makes having 4 of
those horns working. I paid $227.50 for 5 horns and 5 comp. drivers.

But I had to drive to Chicago to pick them up....

Needed to fix 2 stripped out phillips screws on the diaphragm covers,
and all I did was take them all apart and clean them.

That's it. They sound incredible for what I paid for them.

I drove down to Lima, Ohio recently and picked up another JBL 2360 horn for 50 bucks,
so I've got 6 of them now.

My wife thinks that's a little excessive...... but what was I gonna do with that extra horn anyway ?
I'll keep my eyes open for another 2446j and when I find one, I want to build something like these
JBL 4675B's so I'll have something a little more portable.

page13.jpg

Man, do I need a bigger garage..........

Hornz

Godzilla:

Howz the bass ? Ah...........not bad. It's nowhere near done yet, but it's getting there. Still have 4 Altec 515's
to recone, but I want to see if I can have them rebuilt w/ kits that will let them handle more power.

The 515's that I've got now were made in June of 1953 so they are some the earlier versions that Altec made.
Need to get them re-magnetized and the only place I know of that can do it is Great Plains Audio.

Just put 2 freshly re-coned JBL 2225's in the upper 210 cabinet on the right. The upper 210 cabinet on the left
has some old 15" drivers in it ........ think they're Eminence or EV or something...... don't even remember.
Haven't had the back of that cabinet off in years. Those got to go - they're just in there for the time being till
I find one more 2225.

The woofers are crossed over at about 333 Hz, the MB-1's from there to 800Hz, and the JBL horns above that.
I'm still experimenting w/ delay and different x-over points. Sometimes I run the 2360's down to 500 and cross
the woofers over at 250. The MB-1's are designed to operate between 250 and 1.25kHz.

4 of those JBL horns are a little overwhelming..... so the low end needs some EQ help to keep up, but that
should change when I get all 8 woofers installed. It's gonna cost me $800 to recone the 515's + $175 to recone
1 more 2225. And I still need to buy one more 2225. So I'm figuring about 12 or 1300 bucks for everything.

And then it should really, really rock.

Hey Cal,

What's new ? How do you like the Man Cave ? We play ping pong out there, watch concert DVD's, jam on the
guitars and keyboard, and race slot cars. If you lived closer I'd definitely have you over for a burger and beer.

cir99.jpg

IIRC that's something you want to do yours. I say go for it, and yes I'd replace the nail with screws beforehand. Nothing like a nice veneer job on some old girls to make them young and refreshing again. Facelift if you will.

You and I are of the few still running the 210 cabinets so I hope the lottery thing works out and I get to visit one day. Same for you, nothing like sharing some old boxes between friends. (whoops, that didn't sound right :))

Guy, I want you to get those bottom cabinets filled. You've been farting around long enough, get it done and come back with them pics, damn it! I've had nothing new to show for close to a year now. We're counting on you!

Cheers :cheers:

hornz

Cal,

Yeah, you're right....... it's been a long time that they've been down. My better half wants to buy a new house tho, so it's
kind of hard to convince her that I need to dump another grand into my home stereo. Need to do it a little at a time. A woofer here, a woofer there...... Got a birthday and x-mas coming up soon so I should be able to make some progress.

Think I agree w/ you about the nails too. It's just that there's nearly 400 of them.

OMG...........

But once it's done, I don't ever want to go back and fix a problem I could have prevented. They shure would look cool
done in some African Rosewood.

That speaker is a Klangfilm Bionor KL-L433.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.