Diy Build - Morel Units / Active X-Over - Resin Cabs..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I have done a few sub boxes etc for car use but now fancy trying a pair of high-end home speakers.

I am after high sound quality plus a nice look to keep her happy..
I plan to run them on 3 Cyrus power amps fed from an active crossover each amp running in stereo feeding a left & right driver, one for bass, one for mid and one for highs. The amps are switchable stereo/mono so I could add another amp at a later stage and run mono's on the bass woofers.

I am currently looking at the Morel drivers, A 9" bass, 3" midrange and 1" tweeter. Both the mid and high have intregrated rear boxes so I am presuming I can use them 'free air'? I have not found a cross-over yet..
Plan is:
Cast a (pair) 1" thick slab of epoxy resin, this will make the front panel, mount the three drivers into this.
Build a box to fit this panel to that will be the correct size for the bass driver, the cast panel will form the front of the box and extend above it holding the mid and tweeter.

Now, a few questions :)
Firstly, the Morel mid and high have a cast alloy back-box. I am presuming that I can just mount them in a plain panel with nothing behind? (the rear of them in free air) Anybody know if this is correct?
Second, I have downloaded some free software from the web, If I put in the basic details of the woofer it gives me the box volume. Now, as long as I keep the internal volume of the box as stated can I make this box any shape I like (within reason)? I am only thinking of a normal shape but could I just decide that I want a box (say) 10" x 10" and then just make it the right height to get the correct internal volume?
Finally, Is an active crossover a good idea? I am thinking this would save me the problems of designing/building a passive crossover, mean less work for the amps and, most importantly, let me mess about with settings once the speakers are built and run in. I have yet to find a three-way active that is decent quality though. I am toying with the idea of using a in-car unit fed from a mains-to-12v power supply.

Any input on this project is welcome, As I am looking at spending around £400/$800 just on the drivers, another £100/$200 on resin plus the crossover and plenty of time m wondering if it can really be as simple as buying some drivers, designing a box with some free sofware and a pencil then putting it alltogether (over many hours)
If you had a total budget of £1000/$2000 would you be diy'ing or looking to buy a pair ready-made?
I only ask I have just been offered a pair of Dynaudio Audience 70's for £500/$1000?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.