Rmaf 2008 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2008, 12:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Rmaf 2008

i would like to hear comments of who was there, and specially listening impressions of RAAL's omni's, BD-design, any room with hornspeakers, and best sound at the show.

Angelo

some sites with showreports
Old 11th October 2008, 02:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Omni's & OB's aren't my kinda sound at all, the sound is bouncing around off the walls, like to much reverb added after the fact or something, but they are several type here, even Linkwitz's Orion.
Avantgarde Acoustic's here, but just with the Uno Nano.
I heard some integration/room problems around 300Hz.
Oswalds mill has a big pair of horns as well, with RCA drivers.
And BD has its Swing.
Robert
Old 11th October 2008, 02:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

hello Robert

thanks for your comments. Have you heard the RAAL's Omnis ? can you give some more detailled infos about your impressions ?
Old 11th October 2008, 11:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default And please report on the Feastrex field coil speakers in Marriott Tower 9002/3

I second Angelo's request, and also add that I, as a Feastrex junkie, would be particularly grateful for any feedback on the Feastrex field coil speakers in the Lotus Group rooms (Marriott 9002/3).

Click the image to open in full size.

They also have some interesting amplifier prototypes . . . including this 811A SE amplifier:

Looking forward to hearing people's reports, both on Feastrex and the other areas that Angelo mentioned!

-- Chris
Old 11th October 2008, 12:27 PM   #5
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

If that's a prototype, then that must be a plywood top!

Looks very nice.

I would not mind hearing impressions on field coil drivers myself.
There seems to be a few entries in the last 10 years, but has not gained momentum. Is it a price or performance issue??
Old 11th October 2008, 12:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mithomas
If that's a prototype, then that must be a plywood top!

Looks very nice.

Yes, an anodized aluminum plywood top!

-- Chris
Old 12th October 2008, 11:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Angelo,
Yes, I heard the RAAL's Omnis.
They were, well, different.
Closest thing I can think of to relate them to is MBLs, if you've ever heard them.
Omni's that can go very loud, that the exhibitor likes to play very loud.
Horns-- did you know about Red Rocks? Picts & details on:
http://blog.stereophile.com/rmaf2008//index1.html
Nice workmanship, the pic doesn't do it justice.
Or Oswalds Mill? With Ribbon waveguide/RCA horn/15" woofer.
Or Classic Audio Reproductions beautiful Hartfield replicas with field coil drivers?
Or (in my opinion) the best sounding of the above group, CARs T-1 with field coil drivers. Sounded much better than last year. Better integration, couldn't hear jumps at crossover points, instruments sounded like what they were, highs were clear, not shrill, good tight bass, very good for non-horn bass.
Said he should have enough field coil drivers to sele as components next year sometime.
bd upped the ante with bass loaded woofer and co-axial mid/tweeter. Unreal dynamics and harmonic texture on percussion, piano, etc.

Chris,
I thought you'd heard everything Feastrx made; your posts read like advertisements
They had two rooms, with different speakers set up.
One room I found unlistenable. 9" field coil driver, and they changed to different ones Sunday Clark said.
Boomy, loose lows and a screechy high that hurt my ears.
Couldn't stay in the room.
The other room had the speaker you posted the picture of on this page, (and many others).
I listened quite a while, to quite a few different types of music, and can honestly say that it is the best single driver sound I've ever heard.
As long as the volume was kept moderate, and the material not to complex, these speakers were excellent.
Very natural, detailed, but more musical than analitical.
A joy to listen to.
In that catagory I would give them best sound of show.
e.g. One of the "test" CD tracks my wife was giving people to play was a Joni Mitchell piece, which starts out very simple, girl with guitar kind of thing, then many different instruments come in, and dynamics go up and down dramaticaly.
We had just listened to it on Marten Coltraine Supremes with Lamm M3s. Very detailed, but Joni's voice lost harmonics, and you could hardly tell an oboe from a clarinet!
On the Festrex's in Makoto Tanaka's cabinets, it was a beautiful piece of music again, the voice was richer, and not only was there no mistaking the oboe for a clarinet, they both had character.
--But, on crescendos the speakers were breaking up, distorting...
And these were $40,000 drivers in $19,500 cabinets...

ok, sorry to be long-winded but you ask fordetails...
again, my opinions only...
Robert
Old 13th October 2008, 12:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Robert, that was VERY interesting indeed! Thanks.

Impatient to find out what was going on, I called my Japanese-speaking friend Mike who lives in Boulder and who was interpreting for people in the two rooms, and he said that he had some people come up and tell him the larger drivers were horrid but the smaller ones were among the best sound they had ever heard . . . and some other people came up and told him exactly the opposite!

Although actually, I guess that shouldn't come as a great surprise. If there was a single solution or approach that could be objectively demonstrated to be the best for everyone, we could have the Ministry of Audio Devices (MAD) specify the one answer that everyone needs, and eliminate all the rest . . .

Again, thanks for the interesting report.

-- Chris Witmer
Old 13th October 2008, 01:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

hi Robert

thanks for your comments and tell your listening impressions

Quote:
Yes, I heard the RAAL's Omnis. They were, well, different. Closest thing I can think of to relate them to is MBLs, if you've ever heard them.
Yes , i heard MBL's at CES last year, and i thought their dynamics was remarkable, actually, even similar to horns. But the location of the instruments got somehow lost. It sounded strange to me.

Quote:
Horns-- did you know about Red Rocks? Picts & details on:
http://blog.stereophile.com/rmaf2008//index1.html
Nice workmanship, the pic doesn't do it justice..
saw them at stereophile the first time. Did you like the hornloaded ribbons for midrange ?

Quote:
Or Oswalds Mill? With Ribbon waveguide/RCA horn/15" woofer.
waiting to see some pictures. how did you like them ?

Quote:
Or Classic Audio Reproductions beautiful Hartfield replicas with field coil drivers?
heard them at CES , and were belonging to the better sounding speakers at the show.

Quote:
Or (in my opinion) the best sounding of the above group, CARs T-1 with field coil drivers. Sounded much better than last year. Better integration, couldn't hear jumps at crossover points, instruments sounded like what they were, highs were clear, not shrill, good tight bass, very good for non-horn bass.
don't know these. Did you make any pictures ?

Quote:
e.g. One of the "test" CD tracks my wife was giving people to play was a Joni Mitchell piece, which starts out very simple, girl with guitar kind of thing, then many different instruments come in, and dynamics go up and down dramaticaly.
do you know the name of the cd ?

there are some new entries at stereophile blog. What is remarkable is the charged prices for some components. For example :

not very large Kaiser Kawero 92dB-sensitive speakers ($50,000/pair)

we are talking here about a relatively small 2 way floorstander, with a small cone driver, and a ribbon above.

or

Everything was held together by PranaWire's Avatar speaker cable ($13,000 for 1.5m), Cosmos interconnect ($9450 for 3m RCA), MahaSamadhi power cable ($4600 for 1.5m)

i ask myself if these companies really are able to find customers, paying these prices ?!! this looks irrational ....

Angelo
Old 13th October 2008, 02:39 AM   #10
winslow is offline winslow  United States
diyAudio Member

Dr. Edgar mention on AA that the CAR speakers at RMAF were using his new radial tractrix and field coil drivers from the guy he gets his from.

Hide this!Advertise here!