Home theater speaker - Advice needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've started to work on a dedicated home theater room in my basement. Things are going pretty good and it's now time to select a set of speakers to build. As you can assume, it will be the funniest part of the project ! With 2 sets already done (Zaph's BAMTM and Hi-Vi 3"), I'm ready for a bigger challenge : building a complete 7.1 (or .2) dedicated home theater system. So 7 speakers, all the same size, with one or two subs.

My main concern is, as you can expect, the seven speakers. I've found many designs for small bookshelf / satellite speakers that can be used as satellite, main and center channel. These things often have to be played 'small', with a crossover frequency set to 80 Hz at best, if not 100-150 Hz for some design using 4" drivers.

What I try to find is a design with enough bass extension to go as low as 60 Hz, but without losing too much on size, SPL, cost and wall-mounting capabilities.

Zaph's Bargain Mini is the perfect example of that : good design, but croosover point has to be set at 100 Hz if you want to have a decent SPL. Jay's RS180/Seas 27TDFC two-way design looks way better for bass extension, but cabinet size in vented version makes it impractical... so far, I'm unable to find the perfect match !

It's why I'm asking your help. Where can I find a good design that will meets these requirements :

- All 7 speakers will be the same size
- Nearly flat down to 60 Hz
- Wall- and ceiling-mountable (not too big !)
- With enough SPL to impress friends
- Cost for drivers and parts per speaker : not too much over 100$...

Am I asking the impossible ? I'm sure there is a good design out there using a 5 or 6" drivers with a 1" tweeter that will do the job for me. I've haven't found it !

Thanks for your help,

Dino

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.