How short can a TL be..?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all TL fans,
As planet10 says here and on his website TLs aren't just for good bass, but should offer advantages in midrange too. I'd like to try building a compact TL monitor using my existing Audax HM170Z18 units which are in a reflex cab of 27liters. I know I'll get less bass, but I'm not bothered about that. There's a link to a TL project on t-linespeakers.org using a slightly older version of my driver which is a mere 40*30*20 cm with a 3-way fold. Surely this is way shorter than 1/4 wavelength, does cancellation just set in at 6db/octave when the line length is tuned higher than driver resonance? ie sort of like an open baffle (which when you take the line to it's shortest is what you end up with) I've just read that back and it sounds confused, but then I am. Any help gratefully accepted.
Thanks
Ian

there was a short TL design published by "Hi-Fi WORLD" in one of their DIY supplements using an AUDAX HDA DRIVeR, this design was quite compact with only one fold from memory and not much bigger than a mini monitor do a search of their site, it may be there, if you can't find it drop me a line with your address and I'll be quite happy to post you a copy as I am sure I still have it...
CHEERS
TOMB:nod:

Thanks guys,
Qwad - I have seen the HFW design (KLS5) it is linked from t-linespeakers.org and I will definitely try something very similar. I was wondering what determines how short the line can get and what bass roll-off may be expected, but then I guess all good TL-ers should be keen to experiment!
Rob - I shall serach for avforum here in the UK

Ian

Rob,
Have just had a quick look at avforums and I see what you're asking. No I am not that Ian J who modereates the loudspeaker forum there, but another one. avforums looks a fairly consumer-orientated board, the only diy one I've found in the UK is worldaudiodesign, and they concentrate mostly on valve amps these days. have you found any good diy ones in the UK? Why is diy less developed in the UK compared to US, Canada and Australia?
Ian

Hey Ian J,

This is the best diy forum I've seen...I think the UK scene is quite small as most people in the UK would rather buy something with a brand name to impress, than build something that sounds good.....or maybe lots of people just ain't interested in hifi?

Most people I work with think I'm mad spending money on diy when I can get a 'pukka' sony system at the local superstore for the same money

Just my opinion though:)

Cheers

Rob

So who's mad thecperson who builds or rolls his own for true sound qualityor the one who is impressed by all the flashing lights and knobs to twirl, shows you how shallow some people are eh? HENCE THE PLETHORA OF GRAPHIC EQ'S IN SECOND HAND STORES AND BOOT SALES there seems to be an element of snobbishness about, so called "pukka" ( now that's a word I haven't seen used for some time) midi shelf systems with all the gizmo's a bit like cheap jewellery some people wear "flash with trash" to impress, like the old saying in the rag trade, never mind the quality feel the width , the reasoning being that because it is wider it has to be better, like the yanks with more cylinders in their cars and power than anyone knows what to do with, legally that is!, and we all know the dimunitive little mini coopers run rings around, beasts such as these....
cheers to all,
TJB.:goodbad:

RobWells said:
This is the best diy forum I've seen...I think the UK scene is quite small as most people in the UK would rather buy something with a brand name to impress, than build something that sounds good.....or maybe lots of people just ain't interested in hifi?

Most people I work with think I'm mad spending money on diy when I can get a 'pukka' sony system at the local superstore for the same money

i agree, everyone i have spoken too keeps telling me to go buy an amplifier and some speakers. i just hate plastic and flashing lights. i dont care what i looks like, im listning to it, not looking at it :D my dad is the only person i know who is into hifi, everyone else likes their minisystems, yuk.

My level of thinking says that, people in the UK have higher 'requirements' for audio and that is why companies here (Canada), offer much higher quality components in the UK. Proved wrong am I?

Snobiness, yuk! I just hate that period when it comes to audio. My friend actually said that the 141s had better mid-range and high-end than my Audax TLs! How dare he! Truth:The 141s sound great for the price and for the components used. Truth:The 141s' mids are garbbled and sound like the artist has a sock in his mouth, the bass is also maxed around 100Hz, and the highs are there, but not near as clear and warm sounding as my Audax tweets.

In addition, he also always cranks bass, cranks treble, twists that and screws up the realism of the sound. Like they say "DIY'ers know nothing of these bass and treble knobs."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.