High-end 3 way dáppolito with aluminiumcone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
J.R.Freeman said:
Beautiful work, Helmuth! They look terrific! Very professional looking - like something you'd find in a studio. How do you find the sound? Something about those woofers makes me think they'd sound nice and tight, though I know you can't tell much from looks.

JF
Freeman is a common name in the part of the Netherlands I live. So do you know your roods?

The speaker sound is very tight over the whole frequency range.

The bass is also very impulsive and it is really cool to see it move very fast with that big radiating area. It reminds me a bit on my backloaded horn that was the last I aspected from a bass reflex.
High quality low distortion sound like fast bass.

The midrange is bright but sound warmer then my Visaton TI100 full titanium cone. This ones have a sandwich titanium polypropylene cones and cost a ridicules 15 euro! And I spend the money on fancy XO stuff.

The tweeter sound nice detailed and looks good and expensive to with the aluminium horn.

Regards Helmuth

Brett said:
Nice work there Helmuth, they look excellent.

Thanks Bred, I made them for my colleague because I have many idea's.
I want to try them and this is a way to experiment on some one else's cost.

I invested 80 hours of my free time he takes a very small risk :D and gets a set of high-end speakers for budget price with 160uF MKP clarity cap in each speaker and flatwire coils Janzenaudio, low R coil of ERSE.

Regards

Another angle. :)
DSCF0363.jpg

tinitus said:
I admit that when I saw your first moves I couldnt imagine that it would turn out this nice
Good work Helmuth, it looks real nice :cool:

But Im really more interested in whether your very simple XO works like intended

Thanks Tinitus,

Depending on pure listening it sound OK. I want to measure but I have to prepare a reading about audio on a school.
And have today finished a bookshelf speaker that I want use at the reading 20L and -3db 35Hz (simulation) -10dB 30Hz:D

When I have that ready I will do a set-up for measuring in the garden. Till then I will be playing around with stuffing.

Helmuth

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Hi Helmuth,

That's interesting - I must admit I don't know much about my family tree except that we have some Irish and some English. To say that I have roots in the Netherlands sounds a lot more interesting than just being Canadian :D. I shall look into it.

Thank you for the description of the sound, I bet they play very well. Those mid-range drivers are very nice indeed. Titanium and polypropylene together? Very neat. I love polypropylene cones, ever since I first started playing around with speakers in the early 90's. I know they have their draw backs (as does anything) but they sure lend to a smooth response. Adding the rigidity of titanium is an interesting idea.

Anyway, well done again! Very inspirational build!

JF

Helmuth said:

Freeman is a common name in the part of the Netherlands I live. So do you know your roods?

The speaker sound is very tight over the whole frequency range.

The bass is also very impulsive and it is really cool to see it move very fast with that big radiating area. It reminds me a bit on my backloaded horn that was the last I aspected from a bass reflex.
High quality low distortion sound like fast bass.

The midrange is bright but sound warmer then my Visaton TI100 full titanium cone. This ones have a sandwich titanium polypropylene cones and cost a ridicules 15 euro! And I spend the money on fancy XO stuff.

The tweeter sound nice detailed and looks good and expensive to with the aluminium horn.

Regards Helmuth

J.R.Freeman said:
Hi Helmuth,

That's interesting - I must admit I don't know much about my family tree except that we have some Irish and some English. To say that I have roots in the Netherlands sounds a lot more interesting than just being Canadian :D. I shall look into it.

I think I am wrong because in the Netherlands it is wrote Vreeman. I did google on freeman on dutch sites there are Dutch with this name wrote as Freeman.

Update,

I wanted to measure my this took a while to little time birthday parties, it took a while for me to understand the Hobbybox V6 software. HBX V6 HBX V6

I blown my amplifier during the calibration process off HBX forgot to switch it off before testing. And after a while it showed that also my sound card didn't survive this.:(
Now I bougth a begringer usb soundcard because it is only 29 euro and it has a toslink output to :D ,so when this one dies it doesn't harm that hard.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

To make a long story short a also dropped my IMG microphone pre-amplifier Friday. :cannotbe: And it was defective to :hot:

So I tried to repair it but after a short while I thought I can design faster a new and better one my self. So Friday night I made the plan Saturday I worked all day to finish it and at 23 hour it worked:dead: :clown:

I can also maesure its performance with HBX , it is really high performance.
The hart of my design is the Burr and Browne OPA2604 datasheet opa2604 a precision amplifier for spectral analysis equipment, professional audio equipment, data acquisition.

The output is short protected, the valance diode's at the input protect the Opamp.
Also the parallel power stabilisation help protect the circuit in case of a short so a very reliable high quality pre-amplifier for audio playback and measurements.:smash:

circuit
SCAN0004.jpg

How to place everything on a Euro-card size print.
SCAN0006.jpg

How to test it with HBX and the soundcard
SCAN0005.jpg

Picture of the top design. I use a Behringer EMC8000 phantom power omnidirectional microphone.
testmic.jpg

Hi

The bad results of the high frequency let me question the reliability of my microphone.

I have a pair of dsm25ffl how are nine years old now.

An a almost new pair of RT1 Swans isodynamic tweeter.

To check my test gear the only one how can be fault are the microphone or the speaker. What I will do is measure the both without filter on half a meter.
And I compare that with the spec of the driver.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My results.
microcalib.jpg

The swans tweeter seems to do close what the spec say.

The red and green line are measured with microphone calibration switched off.

The swans tweeter tells me that I can trust my microphone and that the titanium dome is altered and does not come near his original spec.

Regards Helmuth

danieljw said:
that software looks excellent, how do you find the sound of the three way with aluminium cone ?

-Dan

The sound is very tight see the excellent waterfall result even the low frequency falls of very quick , with tight fastdynamic low.
And clean sound (not fat) low distortion see distortion results at 100dB on 1mtr.

I had two people to listen to both speakers the
fatboyproject and these.

One person liked the fatboy the other this one. After a while the opinion chanced to depends on music a taste of listener.

I have done some mods to the XO to improve flatness of the response at 300Hz and the tweeter. So I have to listen again.

Regards helmuth

danieljw said:
that project looks good too.

is the measurement software you used easy to use ?

This project is a good loudspeaker for people how like response down to 18Hz with out having booming noise clean tight response. It reminds me of my back loaded horn.

Like often to start isn't any there is many to read and understand and calibrate.
Now i am through this firts start up it work easy the software give's sometimes warnings that aren't applicable that is a bit confusing.
You can download it and play with it first, before buying. The good thing of HBX I can get support from the designer Gerald.Matz himself through Email or the HBX forum. And they sell test microphones with calibration data that can be loaded in the testprogram.
hbx v6 download

To start with you can use free ware MLS software Arta 1.50 is free.
And audiotester v2.2 almost free. screenshots

Another popular commercial is lspCAD with the tool justMLS.

Hey Helmuth

Very good job of redesigning there and I am very interested in you mic preamp, yet I am having trouble reading your schematic, would you redraw so it is more clear, I know how it is I do the same thing. Plus also I would suggest using a precision potentiometer in place of the multiple resistors. looking forward to using it with my Virtins spectrum analyzer program

what op amp are you using

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.