Speaker Suggestions for a Grado Fan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well…you know what they say about a little bit of information….
I asked a question about using solid wood to construct a speaker cabinet and made the mistake of looking up the design I was going to construct (D3) and saw that there are a BUNCH of DIY speakers out there that are really well reviewed. …So, cap in hand, I come to you to ask for advice.

These are the particulars:
1) 15 X 17ish room (part of a larger “great room” with a kitchen/dining room of close to the same size) with 9 ft ceilings.
2) I listen to jazz, classical, folk and freakfolk. I like detail a LOT and prefer a “forward” bright sound. (Grado for the headphone listeners)
4) I like good tight bass but not bloated, flatulent, bowel shaking bass.
5) I’d like the cabinets to have a relatively small footprint, narrow and deep is better than wide and shallow. We are trying to “shrinkydink” all of our furniture to fit the small space.
6) the speakers will be on front of the listener about 6-7 ft apart and the listener about 11 ft away.
7) I’d rather do away with my sub (I have Bose 301s and a sub now)
8) Cheep is good as long as the bang for the buck is there. I’d probably like to stay around $2-300.

Any suggestions?

I was looking at the BAMTM and am presently leaning in that direction. I would probably stay with the smaller cabinet and build stands as needed, to fit the application. Are there any "bookshelf" type desins out there that play well above their station? I know at some point there is going to be a size limitation and I will keep the sub if needed. The house is just starting to get crowded.

I was just looking over at the Zaph site a and was quite intrigued with the ZD5.....although that one is more than a bit more than I want to tackle at this time. Are there any speakers in this range (2 way, relatively compact) between the ZD5 (or SR71) and the Bargain Mini?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.