New Audiotechnology drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The drivers, other than the tweeter, were designed by Andy Payor of Rockport and built to his specifications. They're not likely to be available to the rest of us. I had the opportunity to handle the cone that goes into one of the midrange drivers. Very cool. It's a sandwich of two carbon composite layers and a damping compound/adhesive. The frequency response plots Mr. Payor showed me were pretty shockingly textbook perfect. It's too bad the drivers are proprietary! On the other hand, I probably couldn't afford them even if they weren't.

Few

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Rockport have been using these for awhile now.

I asked about such things when I ordered my drivers from Per. You can't have the Rockport cones since these aren't manufacturered by AT. Rockport has the cones made to their specs and then shipped to AT for integration into their motor and chassis.

AT can do paper or poly with their own setup but anything else you have to approach a specific manufacturer to supply AT with. This means lots and lots of money for just a small number of drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.