Build a center from single floorstander parts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys,

A while ago, I picked up a single Triangle Antal XS floorstanding speaker which has 2 woofers (8" I think) a mid and a tweeter. All custom drivers made by Triangle in France.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I have no idea what to do with this single floorstander. There's some minor cabinet damage but otherwise, it's too big to lay out it's side as a center.

I was thinking of converting this into a custom center channel and just use all of the parts.

I have never built a speaker before and I live in a condo so I don't really have a workshop available.

Thoughts on how I can achieve this and what considerations I should make in terms of having to rebuild crossovers to account for usage as a center?

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
calbear81 said:

Thoughts on how I can achieve this and what considerations I should make in terms of having to rebuild crossovers to account for usage as a center?

The single worst centre configuration (seen everywhere, even here) is the MTM on its side, so don't copy this bad procedure.

You don't know the drivers specs and you don't have the equipment to measure them, right?

Let's look at using one of the woofers:
Working with drivers that you can't accurately design a box size for is not the end of the world. Calculate the volume of the existing box - L x W x H in cm divide by 1000 equals how many litres the box is. This is for 2 of the 8" drivers, so for one, you can use half that space.
Is the original a ported box? If so, how big is the port and how long (tell me sailor, how long is your port ;) ) is the port. Here you need to do some experimenting, but a quick estimate is a reduction of 30% on the diameter and the length.
If the box is ported and you would like to try it sealed, reducing the volume by up to 40% will give approximate results.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
If you can handle a big centre channel you may be able to use both woofers if your woodworking skills are good.
Reading thru the "LDC" I saw the design where the woofers were mounted at an angle ;

firing slightly sideways, \___/ like so

then mount the Mid with the Tweeter above it
Note to self " I must try this myself sometime"

I have no idea if you can re-use the original cross-over however.

Hi,

If it is vented you can build it sealed in ~ half the box volume. W:T/M:W
arrangement, i.e. the bass units either side of vertical mid and treble.
The crossover is probably best left as is, Triangle do not use much BSC.
(Inspect the crossover circuit, I am assuming it is not a 3.5 way.)

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.