High Efficiency Mini DIY Speakers for T-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build something small and cheap for my first DIY speaker project. An 8x10 or so box, 2-way. I like the looks of the bargain mini at zaph, but its efficiency is 80dB and its an 8-ohm design. It is desirable, but not imperative, that it work well with my sureelectronics t-amp clone. I currently am running a pair of Klipsch KG-2 (90dB, 4ohm) on it and I must say it is going to be hard to beat this combination sound-wise, but these speaks are a bit bulky, looking for something smaller.

Anyway, are there any small high efficiency DIY designs out there with total driver price around $30 each with size and performance like the "bargain mini"?

I know this reply is late but I just happened upon the post.
I just built two pair of bargain minis for my daughters. They are using them with their computers driven by TA-20204 tripath amps. The same chip as the Sonic Impact. They sound excellent and will play plenty loud for the intended use. If you want real volume then this will not work. But if you are OK with moderate volume then I think you will be very pleased with the results.
Having said that, my oldest teenager is not happy with the volume level. I think it's fine. She wants louder.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• p1000659 (wince).jpg
    p1000659 (wince).jpg
    20 KB · Views: 833
I just did a similar project and decided to go the full range route. I got a set of the Fostex 107e, on sale at Madisound and made the box they show plans for. They sound great. I have a small sub for the low end. I got this as a present for my daughter, with a SI G2 T-amp. I tried ZBM4's but it would not drive them.

I found many other horn designs here at the FR section. I will build the Metronomes some day.

In a 16x12 room, I never go past 1/2 power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.