Raal's new omnidirectional Ribbons

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've seen this a couple of days ago on the 6moons site. Wondered when they'll come to live. I was sceptical about using those midrange arrays but it seems Alex figured up how to do that properly, without combing. I am curious what drivers are those... crossover points would be nice also. I guess the ribbons can't go too low, even being so many of them so combing still may be a problem if the crossover is too high.

The way he packed the 15" woofers is just brilliant. The print on the floor probably is very small. Having a large hole at the back should qualify it as a cardioid.

Brilliant work...

I don't know if this system is properly understood. I am afraid it is regarded like just another weird speaker design.

I think it addresses in a great way the issue of high spl, high dynamics in a free of resonances/refractions manner. And that's a lot..

The only question is if it behaves like jut another column speaker (comb effects, etc.).

What is the premise here? Omni-directional speakers negate room effects?

I am not sure about that. Open baffle (dipole) systems surely do this by the cancellation that occurs on the sides.

Also I am not very sure how the dispersion affects imaging. The only paper I know on this is Linkwitz. And he considers that the audio "cues" generated by the reflections of a dipole system from the back wall are similar to some cues our hearing is familiarised with during our evolution. I am not sure how this extends to omni. If we consider Pluto, the omni speaker Linkwitz developed, it seems that it scales quite in the same way.

However for great imaging I think that FIRST of all is to minimise weird diffractions occurring at baffle edges, cone edges, mounting plate, horn mouth etc. Minimising baffle resonance also seems to be of equal importance. The idea here is to have a "clean" direct wave, free of artefacts, at very high spl. And that usually means large cone area, with no baffle, which leads to more cone area :) . Or horns, but that's another story.

a kind of high efficiency alternative to MBL Radialstrahler?
http://www.mbl-germany.de/Reference_html/101_e.html

wigginjs said:
What is the premise here? Omni-directional speakers negate room effects?

provide better 3D?
at least it seems to be one of strongest advantages of MBL's according to all reviewers

and in the words of Ralph Glasgal: "omni speakers in a live room will always do a good job of putting a solo instrument in the room with you"

best!
graaf

Nelson Pass said:
Aleksander is one serious guy. If it's anywhere as good as his ribbon
tweeters then it will be a really wild speaker.

I'll second that. I spent a good part of the last RMAF exploring the show with Alexander. Not only is he the most technically knowledgeable driver designer I've ever met, he has very sharp hearing (he picked up a lot of subtle details in demos that I really had to listen for), and rarest of all in the high-end biz, has superb taste in music and sound.

Frankly, it's the last aspect that really stands out - it seems that many high-end designers (in this country, at least) no longer remember what live acoustic music sounds like, and are aiming for an aggressive, harsh, and artificial sound, like an overloaded PA system. The one good thing about this is that the sound quality is easily audible from the hallway (sometimes from 50 feet away), so it made it easy for us to skip the rooms with that kind of "mainstream high-end" sound.

I've kept quiet about what Alexander has told me about his new speaker, and now it looks like the embargo has ended. I have no doubt the measurements will be as good as anything out there, but more importantly, the new system will be balanced for acoustical music - with lots of headroom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.