what do you use in your speaker boxes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
everyone is talking about the speakers but what kind of wires do you use? size,type?

and also what kind (names)of components do you use in xovers?

does the voltage on the caps seem to affect the overall sound?

what kind of connectors do you use if any...some solder instead?

i feel that these are usually left hidden and need to be known,cause it certainly affect the sound don't you think?

give your personnal opinion on a no money object project for xovers and wires.

and your economical way to save and still have great results:D

i'm personnally starting a project with a raal 70-20XR tweeter ,volt 3" VM752 and 2 x 12" RV3143 volt per side,and the choices are enormous for xover components and wires but would like a feedback that could help simplify the choices.

thx

As a disclaimer, I usually just hot rod speakers, haven't built a pair from scratch yet.
newfinish said:
everyone is talking about the speakers but what kind of wires do you use? size,type?

If I feel the old cable is insufficient or possibly corroded due to age, I replace it with 14-18ga solid core cable.
what kind (names)of components do you use in xovers?
It depends on the speaker and budget. For a budget workup, Mills resistors and usually Dayton caps on the woofer and Dayton 1% caps on the tweeter. For a all out upgrade, Claritycap MR caps, Duelund resistors, and Alpha Core inductors. For something in between, Sonic Caps.

does the voltage on the caps seem to affect the overall sound?
From what I've read, no.

what kind of connectors do you use if any...some solder instead?
Solder whenever possible, otherwise I use a barrier strip or gold plated spades.

DAVOhorn said:
I like to use the same speaker cable from the amp to the x over through the x over and to the drive units.
As long as it's not a high capacitance cable such as Goertz or Cat 5, you should be fine. Just keep in mind, a run of a few inches(x-over to driver) has less of a influence than from the amp to the cabinets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.