Scan Speak D3004/660000 problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, to all.

The pictures from the inside construction are extremely interesting, though I can’t imagine what is really going on, if units fail. What is the effect of pressing the back cover? (see post #1) Actually I found out, that it is temperature depended too: the hotter the ambient, the stronger is the resonance phenomenon.

Well, I found this thread disconcerting - so out came the test discs. I don't feel like dismounting the speakers from the baffles, but after 3 hours of warble tones, sine waves, square waves and a multitude of keyboard tracks, I can't say that I can discern anything out of the ordinary with my pair. In fact, after this session, I might just appreciate the ZRTs a bit more. Test discs always have some amazing tracks. Will probably feel compelled to continue the "testing" again tomorrow night. It will be interesting to hear if anyone else can duplicate the problem.

I find it important to say, that the majority of the D3004/660000 is working like it is intended. So no one has to worry about my findings here, if he is pleased with his tweeters.

On the other hand, because I had such a bad luck with these tweeters I do not risk any more trouble, so I simply stay away from this model in the future. My criticism about Tymphany is not that something can go wrong, but that there is no support to fix it. That’s a fact; everything else (e.g. the story about SVSound) is pure speculation and I won’t do that.

Ivo

Re: Re: D3004/660000

dlr said:

I know that you are concerned about a warranty, but if you are curious about disassembling it, I have a review page at my site on the 6600:

All drivers were on loan, so I have no design to share. It is more difficult to remove the diaphragm assembly, just work with extra care.

Dave

Dave, many thks for posting the review.
It really helps in my understanding of the tweeters.
A quick question if I may, do you think I can eliminate the problem both Ivo and myself have by applying the tweaks?
Just an opinion.
Once again, many thks.

Re: Re: Re: D3004/660000

iseeall said:

Dave, many thks for posting the review.
It really helps in my understanding of the tweeters.
A quick question if I may, do you think I can eliminate the problem both Ivo and myself have by applying the tweaks?
Just an opinion.
Once again, many thks.

I have too little info and experience with this driver to say. It sounds more like voice coil rubbing to me. If the diaphragm were removed and replaced it might position it slightly better, but given how well the design positions the diaphragm, I have doubts. You can't rotate it. I had a 13m/8636 pair reconed a while back. Both measured fine for SPL and impedance. After XO design, I kept hearing odd soundstage issues, only with certain music. It wasn't until I played a particular a cappella CD that the reason became obvious. There was a buzzing on certain vocals only in one driver that was largely masked with more complex music that allowed me to isolate it. I had to send the driver back. They sent me a brand new one rather than re-cone a second time.

There is one other possibility, one I've had when experimenting. There is a felt dome under the diaphragm, shown in a picture on my page. This is glued onto a support mounted on the top of the pole piece vent opening. If it was glued even slightly off-center, there could be contact with the diaphragm. It takes very little to drastically alter the response.

In any case, all I can do is conjecture. If there are issues with the diaphragm assembly such as with the former connection to the diaphragm or some other clearance issue, the only way to know would be to swap a new one in or swap them in a pair. I hesitate to actually recommend doing this unless you've had some experience since it doesn't take much trash a driver diaphragm. At the price of the 6600 you may not want to take the risk. Had I spent that kind of money, I'd be looking for a replacement under warranty.

Dave

Hi,

Sorry for my late answer.

I have worked alot with the R29 and can recommend it anytime. I have only tried one tweeter that sounded better, and thats the Mundorf AMT.

I can see that you are using 12M. A very good midrange. Right now im doing crossover design on a r29, 12M and 18W floorstand speaker. If you want the crossover drawing, let me know.

Heres some meassurements sofar...

Raw.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Filter in fase
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Filter with midrange out of fase

Heres the meassurement files, for download in txt format, ready for lspCAD import.
http://www.speakerbuilder.dk/doc/articles/Passage30_mess.zip

Heres the filter transferfunction (electrical transferfunction)

Re: Re: Re: Re: D3004/660000

dlr said:

I have too little info and experience with this driver to say. It sounds more like voice coil rubbing to me. If the diaphragm were removed and replaced it might position it slightly better, but given how well the design positions the diaphragm, I have doubts. You can't rotate it. I had a 13m/8636 pair reconed a while back. Both measured fine for SPL and impedance. After XO design, I kept hearing odd soundstage issues, only with certain music. It wasn't until I played a particular a cappella CD that the reason became obvious. There was a buzzing on certain vocals only in one driver that was largely masked with more complex music that allowed me to isolate it. I had to send the driver back. They sent me a brand new one rather than re-cone a second time.

There is one other possibility, one I've had when experimenting. There is a felt dome under the diaphragm, shown in a picture on my page. This is glued onto a support mounted on the top of the pole piece vent opening. If it was glued even slightly off-center, there could be contact with the diaphragm. It takes very little to drastically alter the response.

In any case, all I can do is conjecture. If there are issues with the diaphragm assembly such as with the former connection to the diaphragm or some other clearance issue, the only way to know would be to swap a new one in or swap them in a pair. I hesitate to actually recommend doing this unless you've had some experience since it doesn't take much trash a driver diaphragm. At the price of the 6600 you may not want to take the risk. Had I spent that kind of money, I'd be looking for a replacement under warranty.

Dave

Dave, thanks for the advise.
I am awaiting for my dealer on the warranty now.
Yes, for the amount I spent on the tweets, I was hoping to be able to enjoy the sweet sound but now this.
This is what one would termed a 'Friday product', i.e. it was probably manufactured on a Friday and most workers are thinking of the weekends!
Many thks, Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.