Crossover Debate: Bessel vs. Butterworth - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2008, 02:54 PM   #11
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Is Bessel characteristic the same as Linkwitz-Reilly?
Old 19th September 2008, 03:12 PM   #12
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

No. Bessel is Q=0.577 and sum is @ -3dB from memory. Linkwitz-Riley is Q=0.5 and sum is @ -6dB and overall phase change is kept constant.
Old 19th September 2008, 04:18 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richie00boy
No. Bessel is Q=0.577 and sum is @ -3dB from memory. Linkwitz-Riley is Q=0.5 and sum is @ -6dB and overall phase change is kept constant.
A crossover formed from a Bessel pair (HP + LP) never sums flat perfectly. If the -3dB pointis used as the corner frequency then the phase will be +/- 74 degrees at the crossover point for a 2nd order Bessel pair and there will be a peak or dip at the crossover frequency, depending on polarity. It is possible to shift the corner frequencies of the HP and LP sections (stagger them) so that the response is 0dB at the crossover point, but there will then be ripples (or dips or peaks) to either side of the x-o point. The magnitude of the ripple will depend on the order of the Bessel pair and polariity of the connecton, but a Bessel pair never sums flat.
Old 19th September 2008, 04:57 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Syncroniq
http://www.speakerbuilder.dk/

http://www.speakerbuilder.dk/content/getPage.asp?id=37/QUOTE]

Just a note. Your website doesn't work very well. I get a blank page with my primary browser. I tried 3 others which were better (and consistent) and there are many pages where only the header shows up.

I can see the 2nd URL but i couldn't navigate to that page, so i suspect bad javascript navigation code?

dave
Old 19th September 2008, 05:32 PM   #15
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Crossover Debate: Bessel vs. Butterworth

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmmlc

While having excellent time response when only one filter is used, Bessel filters when used in group (by example low-pass + high-pass) don't retain the excellent time response properties of the isolated filters.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h
This is not entirely correct. High pass filters cannot have flat time response. So even an isolated HP Bessel does not have a flat time delay like its low pass counterpart.

http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/.../phasedist.pdf
Old 19th September 2008, 06:44 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi

Planet10 > My website works with InternetExplorer, FireFox and Chrome. Wich ones is it you have tried that did not work? The menu was a script i found on the web at softcomplex.com i think.

BUT.. i havent translated all pages. So go with the danish language, and all pages should show up.
Old 19th September 2008, 07:04 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Syncroniq
Planet10 > My website works with InternetExplorer, FireFox and Chrome. Wich ones is it you have tried that did not work? The menu was a script i found on the web at softcomplex.com i think.

BUT.. i havent translated all pages. So go with the danish language, and all pages should show up. [/B]
I used iCab, Safari, Camino (a Mac-specific Firefox variation) & FireFox. Exploder is not available for the Mac.

That last seems to be the problem... all the Danush pages load.

Thanx.

dave
Old 20th September 2008, 03:59 PM   #18
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Same here with Opera browser 9.51 om WinXP.
Drop downs work - but most pages only in Dansk.

MarcMTL _ thanks for asking! A crossover thread is always better than a speaker cable thread.
Old 20th September 2008, 11:26 PM   #19
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

To talk about a crossover as if it were a simple electrical problem is simply absurd. The crossover is a complex system of electro-acoustic summations of multiple non-coincident and non-ideal sources that occurs in a full three dimensional field. The correct crossover to yield the best impulse response, both on and off axis, is never going to have a simple electrical specifcation. Its not going to look anything like an ideal "Bessel" or Butterworth" or anything else you want to call it.
Old 21st September 2008, 07:07 AM   #20
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That's why you have to tweak them, Earl.

Hide this!Advertise here!