guitar amp enclosure/combo cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Hammond organ tube amp chassis,reverb unit and Jensen P12S 12" speaker that all needs built into a cabinet.

I want to make my own enclosure for all this in a combo style guitar amp cabinet(with an open or closed back,I don't know which is best).

Will any old wooden box type thing do, or do I have to observe the same rules as you would when designing/making speaker enclosures.
The sound from a guitar amp is "crude" compared to HiFi speakers
I think, so do I just make a "simple" wooden box type thing or are there some basic rules to all this?
I have looked on the net for DIY guitar amp cabinets but I have found nothing.
Any advice welcome.

the existing box should give you some clues.

Generally for a closed box, it should be fairly big, but not likely shaped like a stereo speakers. For a guitar amp, you need to make considerations like hauling it around, moving in and out of buildings, stowing it in a van or the back seat of a car for transportation.

You can make a great amp cabinet, but if you can't get it through the door or into a vehicle, or you can't move it around by yourself, then the design sort of defeats the purpose.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I would suggest open back - and you can get inspired by Fender or any other guitar amp manufacurer. There are at least dimensions and pictures. I would suggest a baffle tilted a few degrees back.

There are basicly no rules for combo design - other than the chassis and speaker must fit in and they must be protected enough as well. That is all.

I just got plans for a Marshall 2x12 combo cabinet e-mailed to me from a forum member.They are excellent-very detailed.If I can get another Jensen P12S I will probably make this one.If not then at least the plans have given me a good idea how to start.
Thanks everybody for the advice.

Marshall combo cabinet

Aidan135711 said:
I just got plans for a Marshall 2x12 combo cabinet e-mailed to me from a forum member.They are excellent-very detailed.If I can get another Jensen P12S I will probably make this one.If not then at least the plans have given me a good idea how to start.
Thanks everybody for the advice.

Hi - I thought I might take a shot at building a Marshall 2x12" combo cabinet incorporating a JTM45 clone and 2x12" speakers for a 1962 bluesbreakers style unit. Would it be possible for you to email me the plans. My email address is bottleneckjb@hotmail.com

Thanks

marshall combos are pretty poor really. With a good valve amp and speaker such as those, you could get better results with a sealed or dare i say it, a ported cab. most combos are only open backed, to extract a slightly better bass response, at the expense of making feedback more of a problem at high volumes. or at least more uncontrollable at high volumes. look at the amp head unit+cab systems...none of THOSE are open back, and many use the same speakers....

as long as you give the 12" about 1.5-2 cubic feet volume itll be fine

say 24" wide by 18" high and 12" deep? sealed or open back...its down to preference. i myself, would prefer closed back/sealed. but then again im using my guitar with a 120Watt dean markley valve head and a Hartke 4x10 bass guitar cab:eek: its damned loud and heavy as hell but due to the aluminium drivers, still nice and bright when i want it to be

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.