guitar amp enclosure/combo cabinet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2008, 10:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default guitar amp enclosure/combo cabinet

I have a Hammond organ tube amp chassis,reverb unit and Jensen P12S 12" speaker that all needs built into a cabinet.

I want to make my own enclosure for all this in a combo style guitar amp cabinet(with an open or closed back,I don't know which is best).

Will any old wooden box type thing do, or do I have to observe the same rules as you would when designing/making speaker enclosures.
The sound from a guitar amp is "crude" compared to HiFi speakers
I think, so do I just make a "simple" wooden box type thing or are there some basic rules to all this?
I have looked on the net for DIY guitar amp cabinets but I have found nothing.
Any advice welcome.
Old 18th September 2008, 11:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

the existing box should give you some clues.

Generally for a closed box, it should be fairly big, but not likely shaped like a stereo speakers. For a guitar amp, you need to make considerations like hauling it around, moving in and out of buildings, stowing it in a van or the back seat of a car for transportation.

You can make a great amp cabinet, but if you can't get it through the door or into a vehicle, or you can't move it around by yourself, then the design sort of defeats the purpose.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard
Old 19th September 2008, 09:24 AM   #3
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

I would suggest open back - and you can get inspired by Fender or any other guitar amp manufacurer. There are at least dimensions and pictures. I would suggest a baffle tilted a few degrees back.

There are basicly no rules for combo design - other than the chassis and speaker must fit in and they must be protected enough as well. That is all.
Old 19th September 2008, 02:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I just got plans for a Marshall 2x12 combo cabinet e-mailed to me from a forum member.They are excellent-very detailed.If I can get another Jensen P12S I will probably make this one.If not then at least the plans have given me a good idea how to start.
Thanks everybody for the advice.
Old 10th November 2008, 02:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Marshall combo cabinet

Quote:
Originally posted by Aidan135711
I just got plans for a Marshall 2x12 combo cabinet e-mailed to me from a forum member.They are excellent-very detailed.If I can get another Jensen P12S I will probably make this one.If not then at least the plans have given me a good idea how to start.
Thanks everybody for the advice.

Hi - I thought I might take a shot at building a Marshall 2x12" combo cabinet incorporating a JTM45 clone and 2x12" speakers for a 1962 bluesbreakers style unit. Would it be possible for you to email me the plans. My email address is bottleneckjb@hotmail.com

Thanks
Old 10th November 2008, 03:26 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Marshall cabinets tend to be sealed. Guitar drivers tend
to be suited to open back more than sealed. Check you
have the right sort of driver for the right sort of cabinet.

/sreten.
Old 10th November 2008, 07:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

JB Junior
The plans are sent.
Good luck.
Old 10th April 2009, 04:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Aiden,

Any chance you can me send those Marshall 2 x 12 combo plans ?

Thx
Old 6th May 2010, 06:52 AM   #9
Ster217 is offline Ster217  Somalia
diyAudio Member

Can you send me those plans too? My email is jerzykj@gmail.com
Old 6th May 2010, 08:43 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

marshall combos are pretty poor really. With a good valve amp and speaker such as those, you could get better results with a sealed or dare i say it, a ported cab. most combos are only open backed, to extract a slightly better bass response, at the expense of making feedback more of a problem at high volumes. or at least more uncontrollable at high volumes. look at the amp head unit+cab systems...none of THOSE are open back, and many use the same speakers....

as long as you give the 12" about 1.5-2 cubic feet volume itll be fine

say 24" wide by 18" high and 12" deep? sealed or open back...its down to preference. i myself, would prefer closed back/sealed. but then again im using my guitar with a 120Watt dean markley valve head and a Hartke 4x10 bass guitar cab its damned loud and heavy as hell but due to the aluminium drivers, still nice and bright when i want it to be

Hide this!Advertise here!