Experience implementing Seas DXT tweeter? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2008, 05:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to TurboFC3S Send a message via AIM to TurboFC3S
Default Experience implementing Seas DXT tweeter?

Hey guys, just got a pair of the new Seas DXT waveguide tweeters. Does anybody have experience implementing them in a finished design, and have any 'tips' to share?

I'm planning to use mine in a MTM with SB Acoustic 6" woofers. I don't anticipate much trouble, but waveguides can be tricky to implement without a massive network. For a low xover point I expect at least one wide notch, hopefully not multiple notches.

And for those who have used them, what do you think of the way they sound?
Old 17th September 2008, 05:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Have you seen Jed Kuntz's design called the "Tombstones" over at htguide?

By notches are you referring to resonance traps? These are not typical (or technically) waveguides. They are not big enough to cause the multiple impedance resonances you would see with a typical CD on a horn, or large waveguide. The big advantage with these is really better alignment of AC's and a slight bump in lower end output, which eq'ed flat will result in slightly lower HD.
Old 17th September 2008, 06:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to TurboFC3S Send a message via AIM to TurboFC3S
Yea, I've seen his design ... and his massive crossover network. I have a bit of experience with waveguides and dome tweeters, I did take these to RMAF last year, which Jed said was his inspiration for doing the Tombstones in the first place:

Click the image to open in full size.

Mine had huge gain centered around 2000hz, but the top end stayed smooth. So once I EQ'd out my gain, it all fell into place ... just with incredibly low distortion. What concerns me about the DXT is that from about 10khz up it's only 86-88db sensitive, so once I EQ the lower octaves to about 89-90 for my MTM there will still be a dip up top. At least that's how it looks, which is why I'm asking for input.
Old 17th September 2008, 11:16 AM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Click the image to open in full size.

It seems you would have to accept a top octave roll-off for 89dB.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Waveguidetmm.html

Zaph uses one capacitor on the tweeter, why a "massive" network ?

/sreten.
Old 19th September 2008, 01:39 PM   #5
ojg is offline ojg
diyAudio Member

Hi! I made a two-way speaker with the DXT tweeters this summer. I have planned to post a write-up on it on this site once I get enough time, it would be interesting to compare crossovers.

If you are going to implement some baffle-step compensation then your woofers sensitivity will be down by a few dB's and so will match the DXT pretty well don't you think?

Brgds,
OJG
Old 19th September 2008, 01:53 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ojg

If you are going to implement some baffle-step compensation then your woofers sensitivity
will be down by a few dB's and so will match the DXT pretty well don't you think?

Brgds,
OJG
Hi,

As it is an MTM after BSC sensitivity will be a single woofers, ~ 89dB.

/sreten.
Old 19th September 2008, 05:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

These commercial speakers use DXT tweeter (yes, the speakers have DSP xover and room correction built in):
http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/...rvo-299b.shtml

I haven't listened them but they also lack a little bit in HF department. The designer though claimed that the reason is the ferrofluid dampening - after some playing and warming up they should open up. Dunno, it may be that it's the diffraction effect of the waveguide itself... (I may ask the guy himself about the tweeters if I happend to meet him at Hifi show next weekend).

Hide this!Advertise here!