Experience implementing Seas DXT tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, just got a pair of the new Seas DXT waveguide tweeters. Does anybody have experience implementing them in a finished design, and have any 'tips' to share?

I'm planning to use mine in a MTM with SB Acoustic 6" woofers. I don't anticipate much trouble, but waveguides can be tricky to implement without a massive network. For a low xover point I expect at least one wide notch, hopefully not multiple notches.

And for those who have used them, what do you think of the way they sound?

Have you seen Jed Kuntz's design called the "Tombstones" over at htguide?

By notches are you referring to resonance traps? These are not typical (or technically) waveguides. They are not big enough to cause the multiple impedance resonances you would see with a typical CD on a horn, or large waveguide. The big advantage with these is really better alignment of AC's and a slight bump in lower end output, which eq'ed flat will result in slightly lower HD.

Yea, I've seen his design ... and his massive crossover network. I have a bit of experience with waveguides and dome tweeters, I did take these to RMAF last year, which Jed said was his inspiration for doing the Tombstones in the first place:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Mine had huge gain centered around 2000hz, but the top end stayed smooth. So once I EQ'd out my gain, it all fell into place ... just with incredibly low distortion. What concerns me about the DXT is that from about 10khz up it's only 86-88db sensitive, so once I EQ the lower octaves to about 89-90 for my MTM there will still be a dip up top. At least that's how it looks, which is why I'm asking for input.

Hi,

offaxis-27TBCDGB-DXT.gif

It seems you would have to accept a top octave roll-off for 89dB.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Waveguidetmm.html

Zaph uses one capacitor on the tweeter, why a "massive" network ?

:)/sreten.

Hi! I made a two-way speaker with the DXT tweeters this summer. I have planned to post a write-up on it on this site once I get enough time, it would be interesting to compare crossovers.

If you are going to implement some baffle-step compensation then your woofers sensitivity will be down by a few dB's and so will match the DXT pretty well don't you think?

Brgds,
OJG

These commercial speakers use DXT tweeter (yes, the speakers have DSP xover and room correction built in):
http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/dspeaker-servo-299b.shtml

I haven't listened them but they also lack a little bit in HF department. The designer though claimed that the reason is the ferrofluid dampening - after some playing and warming up they should open up. Dunno, it may be that it's the diffraction effect of the waveguide itself... (I may ask the guy himself about the tweeters if I happend to meet him at Hifi show next weekend).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.