Speaker Workshop: the best and how to use it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Life is too short to drink bad wine? Probably.
Life is too short to not design and build a "Class A" audio system? You bet!

After much audio & diy audio surfing, I’m just about to start a (hoped for number of) speaker projects, starting with modest components (cheaper Peerless and Seas) in a 2 way as quick training wheels, and say by latest end of year, the real goal of a Linkwitz Phoenix based/ thylantar type updated active 3-way using eg ribbons & PHL.

I’ve searched on
design AND software AND free AND crossover

It seems that Speaker Workshop is the best shareware.

IIRC a conversation 4 months ago with a SW user, to get 3-way, you need to cascade. Apart from that, he was satisfied.

Anyone comments, suggestions, tips?

TIA

Speakerworkshop is not the best software but the best <i>free</i> software :)

There is a good tutorial on the web site where you can learn the design process and how to use the software.

I recommend that you build the Jig before starting any project. This will ensure the repeatability of the results and the coherence.

If you have all the parts, it take 2-3 hours. It cost me 20$ (CAD) because I have used good RCA jacks and other stuff.

Attachments

• speakerworkshopjig1.jpg
    speakerworkshopjig1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 501
Yes my 2 threads today: on xo design, and testing do overlap – my apologies,
OTBE, it’s better if the approach used is integrated (I’m probably too tired/ one too many beers, and while my aspirations are high for an active 3 way by year end, I’m a newbie).
So summary:

Are PLLXOs worthwhile?

Does Speaker Workshop allow you to design shelves & notch filters?

Does SW handle only normal Passive filters?

Can SW accept the results of a speaker testing rig?

If not, possibly for a 2 projects away, what’s the next level of software up, that can use results?

What is the recommended speaker testing rig, either Elliot or http://www.gti.net/wallin/audio/jig2/jig2.html
and approx time and cost to build?

TIA

I'm just getting into SW myself. If you go this route, I have a couple of suggestions. First, definitely build Jig II. Second, the instructions on the Wallin site on how to connect and test the jig with the software are a little outdated unless you have an older soundcard that will put out enough power to drive PC speakers. I have a SBLive soundcard and I've run into some problems due to this that could have been avoided. If you want more info, let me know. good luck.

tim schaefer
timsch75@juno.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.