15s8530 - reaching xmax?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I notice on high volumes (with LP less than ~60hz) that the woofers make a noise because they reach their xmax limit.
Does it mean that is too much for them?
The scan do have low fs and can get lower bass but I guess it's only for love levels?

Thanks.

I wrote about the fs as some indication of the 15w reaching low frequencies (rather than high SPL).

So I guess 5.25" shouldn't be used to handle high spl (in home/car terms) with frequencies lower than 60-70hz?

The only experience I had with them before was with a closed box MTM center. The amp doesn't send lower bass to this channel so I notice any problems.

In the above matter I used them in a car on the rear walls instead of the original 6x9 . In this case the only control I had was the acoustastuff filling and wall covers.

BNK said:
love levels?

I meant low levels :)

Their specs are so close to the 7" revs. That's what so confusing.

I do have the 7" in a transmission line (self design for a friend) and I don't recall xmax problem there.
Such a small difference in size, such a big difference in drivers behaviour ?!

I wonder how you handle it.
Do you HP the woofer (and LP) or just limit the power going in although you can get higher mid SPL?

The 15W will exceed it's excursion limits at 70 Hz with 40 watts in a sealed or vented enclosure. About 20 watts will exceed xmax below 50 Hz.

In comparison the 18w will will exceed it's excursion limits at 64 Hz. with 40 watts in a sealed or vented enclosure. About 20 watts will exceed xmax below 40 Hz.

I really like the revelator drivers but I would be very willing to trade some of the low frequency extension for the ability to play louder without exceeding xmax like the 18w8545

Regards,

Dennis

In that case 2.5 way using a 8545 for bass only (below 70hz) is better than using the rev for bass below 70hz.
I always suspected that but never checked it out.
I do have 8545 in my main speakers for lower bass (vented box).
I think their bass is awsome, but sometimes they do get to their xmax on very low frequencies (20-30) at high SPL.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.