Opinions Needed: Vifa P21WO-20-08

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I used the P21WO in "Windswept", and had previously used it in other vented and sealed apps.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gradds55/ARGOS/windswept.htm

The P21WO is a reasonably soft coned driver, and I found that when used in sealed or vented, the mid quality suffered. It does do pretty darn good bass in a vented box, but it needs to be rather large (50L+ iirc.)

In Windswept the driver is much freer to move and the mids that it produces are really VERY good, and in combination with the old Seas 27TFFC makes for very good listening. iirc I used a first order series xo crossed at around 2.2k

If you are not able to use it in something like a big tapered pipe, my recommendation would be to use it as a bass unit in a 3-way, with something like a P13 or P11 doing the mids.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Thanks for the information guys. Wow Andy - are you the creator of Windswept? If so you certainly have a talent for design!

Hmm 50L you say? I am thinking of doing a smallish 2 way, so they might be out. I like to look of the P21's, and have had my eye on them for some time but maybe they aren't suited for this purpose. I noticed the Vas was rather high, which would need a larger cabinet for a lower Q. (I'm thinking about .60 or so)

Interesting stuff though, thanks!

I can report that for the money this is an outstanding driver. In a large enough vented or aperiodic cabinet the lower midrange is quite natural in the vocal regions for a poly cone driver. And as Andy has stated the bass is strong for an 8 inch driver. It will also make a good budget 8 inch two way since it has a relatively smooth breakup region.

Mine are used as bass drivers in a 1.5 cubic foot aperiodic cabinet. Bass quality is amazing for a poly cone woofer in this type of loading.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.