latest on kef 107 refurb - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2008, 08:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default latest on kef 107 refurb

Story so far:

bought some 107's on e-bay, traveled along way to get them, got them back home and when listening at a higher volume than when at the previous owners home, i notices a slight cracking on one of the speakers bass units. As you cant physically see the bass units unless you dismantle the speaker, that is what i did and saw both drive units had deteriorated and one had ceased. I then checked the other speaker and both bass drivers were the same. I contacted the seller and he was a very decent man indeed and offered me a very reasonable rebate. It was then that i realised i was going to totally refurbish these once great speakers.
All drive units have been sent to 'audioloudspeakers', all 4 bass units will be totally rebuilt, 2 midrange will be checked and also the tweeters, the crossovers will be checked and some components will be replaced (4 crossovers in total).
The cabinets have been sent to a spray booth and are awaiting a complete respray, the main bass unit will be of original black ash finish but with a slightly glossier look, however the mid/tweeter housing will be fillered around the seam to make it look one piece and sprayed the same colour as the main unit as opposed to the grey original finish.
All internal wiring is to be replaced with QED silver anniversery cable, all fully silver soldered throughout.
XLR connection from main bass enclosure to top enclosure will be replaced with michell engineering 'big mother' binding posts.
Binding posts of main enclosure are to be replaced with michell 'big mother' posts.
Top plate of main enclosure will be re upholstered in cow hide black suede as opposed to the loose fitting grille cloth.

Sorry for it being a long thread but wanted to share my first refurbishment with someone. Will try to add as many photos of the speakers as they are now and then how they develop.
Thanks.
Old 12th September 2008, 08:45 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

deteriorated drive unit
Old 12th September 2008, 08:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i cant add any of the pictures i have taken before they got sent away as the resolution is to high. Will keep trying things to add them.
Old 12th September 2008, 09:44 PM   #4
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Download Irfanview - using it you can resize/rename images in batches. Note that maximum size is 102400 bytes or ~100kb
Old 15th September 2008, 01:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice on the download.
Here is one of the first things i saw on opening the cabinets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birth of george and broken kefs 025.jpg (53.8 KB, 349 views)
Old 15th September 2008, 01:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

another perished unit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birth of george and broken kefs 026.jpg (70.1 KB, 310 views)
Old 15th September 2008, 01:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kef 107 012.jpg (23.2 KB, 312 views)
Old 15th September 2008, 01:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kef 107 018.jpg (42.2 KB, 318 views)
Old 15th September 2008, 02:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

this is the top panel that fits underneath the mid/tweeter enclosure. It is fitted with grille cloth that is a bit tatty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kef 107 022.jpg (30.7 KB, 292 views)
Old 15th September 2008, 02:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

so i will upholster it with this black suede hide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kef 107 023.jpg (34.1 KB, 262 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!