diyAudio (
-   Multi-Way (
-   -   latest on kef 107 refurb (

dayking79 12th September 2008 08:40 PM

latest on kef 107 refurb
Story so far:

bought some 107's on e-bay, traveled along way to get them, got them back home and when listening at a higher volume than when at the previous owners home, i notices a slight cracking on one of the speakers bass units. As you cant physically see the bass units unless you dismantle the speaker, that is what i did and saw both drive units had deteriorated and one had ceased. I then checked the other speaker and both bass drivers were the same. I contacted the seller and he was a very decent man indeed and offered me a very reasonable rebate. It was then that i realised i was going to totally refurbish these once great speakers.
All drive units have been sent to 'audioloudspeakers', all 4 bass units will be totally rebuilt, 2 midrange will be checked and also the tweeters, the crossovers will be checked and some components will be replaced (4 crossovers in total).
The cabinets have been sent to a spray booth and are awaiting a complete respray, the main bass unit will be of original black ash finish but with a slightly glossier look, however the mid/tweeter housing will be fillered around the seam to make it look one piece and sprayed the same colour as the main unit as opposed to the grey original finish.
All internal wiring is to be replaced with QED silver anniversery cable, all fully silver soldered throughout.
XLR connection from main bass enclosure to top enclosure will be replaced with michell engineering 'big mother' binding posts.
Binding posts of main enclosure are to be replaced with michell 'big mother' posts.
Top plate of main enclosure will be re upholstered in cow hide black suede as opposed to the loose fitting grille cloth.

Sorry for it being a long thread but wanted to share my first refurbishment with someone. Will try to add as many photos of the speakers as they are now and then how they develop.

dayking79 12th September 2008 08:45 PM

deteriorated drive unit

dayking79 12th September 2008 08:59 PM

i cant add any of the pictures i have taken before they got sent away as the resolution is to high. Will keep trying things to add them.

Ron E 12th September 2008 09:44 PM

Download Irfanview - using it you can resize/rename images in batches. Note that maximum size is 102400 bytes or ~100kb

dayking79 15th September 2008 01:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the advice on the download.
Here is one of the first things i saw on opening the cabinets.

dayking79 15th September 2008 01:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
another perished unit

dayking79 15th September 2008 01:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
more photos

dayking79 15th September 2008 01:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)

dayking79 15th September 2008 02:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
this is the top panel that fits underneath the mid/tweeter enclosure. It is fitted with grille cloth that is a bit tatty.

dayking79 15th September 2008 02:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so i will upholster it with this black suede hide.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 18.75%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio