latest on kef 107 refurb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Story so far:

bought some 107's on e-bay, traveled along way to get them, got them back home and when listening at a higher volume than when at the previous owners home, i notices a slight cracking on one of the speakers bass units. As you cant physically see the bass units unless you dismantle the speaker, that is what i did and saw both drive units had deteriorated and one had ceased. I then checked the other speaker and both bass drivers were the same. I contacted the seller and he was a very decent man indeed and offered me a very reasonable rebate. It was then that i realised i was going to totally refurbish these once great speakers.
All drive units have been sent to 'audioloudspeakers', all 4 bass units will be totally rebuilt, 2 midrange will be checked and also the tweeters, the crossovers will be checked and some components will be replaced (4 crossovers in total).
The cabinets have been sent to a spray booth and are awaiting a complete respray, the main bass unit will be of original black ash finish but with a slightly glossier look, however the mid/tweeter housing will be fillered around the seam to make it look one piece and sprayed the same colour as the main unit as opposed to the grey original finish.
All internal wiring is to be replaced with QED silver anniversery cable, all fully silver soldered throughout.
XLR connection from main bass enclosure to top enclosure will be replaced with michell engineering 'big mother' binding posts.
Binding posts of main enclosure are to be replaced with michell 'big mother' posts.
Top plate of main enclosure will be re upholstered in cow hide black suede as opposed to the loose fitting grille cloth.

Sorry for it being a long thread but wanted to share my first refurbishment with someone. Will try to add as many photos of the speakers as they are now and then how they develop.
Thanks.

Thanks for the advice on the download.
Here is one of the first things i saw on opening the cabinets.

Attachments

• birth of george and broken kefs 025.jpg
    birth of george and broken kefs 025.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 397
Looks like a great project.

Risking being rude: What did you pay for the 107s and what is your budget for the refurb?

I had a pair of 104/2s once - they were gorgeous. They were 15-20 years old yet all the drivers were in excellent condition. I suppose this depends on use, and local humidities etc?

I was going to upgrade the tweeters, replace the internal wiring and renew some of the caps. The XOs were very difficult to remove, and I was very novice at the time, so I decided to leave them alone, and DIY from scratch. This is probably what got me started DIYing.

I would happily buy another pair of 104/2s one day, so I am sure that your 107s will sound great.

dublin78 said:
Looks like a great project.

Risking being rude: What did you pay for the 107s and what is your budget for the refurb?

Hi, i paid £400 but the guy gave me £150 back. So before the refurbishment they stand me at £250 plus deisel to fetch them (£40/50) When everything is finished they will probably stand me at more like £800.
Most importantly though, i'm enjoying myself and hopefully the end product will be more than worth it.

dublin78 said:
Have you checked out hifiloudspeakers.info ?

It is a largely dedicated Vintage KEF site.

http://hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=f238a4d93107b95f32e8a6d10521d2d2

Just been to that forum. Looks perfect for me but the registration process is a pain. I have got to wait for an email containing a ref number but the only email i keep getting is an auto reply saying that the administrator is too busy at the mo.
Will keep trying as it does look v.good so thanks for that.

And the results were?

Well folks, its been a bit over four years, and there was never any followup on this.
How did this project turn out? Did it get finished?

I have a beautiful pair of 107's, but time kills all speaker foam at some point. I'm at that point now.

Anyone else here who's done a refurb soup to nuts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.