DIY Speaker Less than AUD$300/pr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for a speaker design that costs less than $300 au per Pair,
Sound is of corse most important,

the $300 includes:

• *crossover,
    *Drivers,
    *Materials for the cabnet

Must be good at music (classical, Jazz), Movies, and be flat to 25khz (find Hi-Freq destortion annoying)
Must be Bookshelf, (little space)
Must have Bass for some movies but will have small sub,

Thanks in advance

Alexis Shaw

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
This is a very big ask, i usually find that cabinet drivers and crossover are about equal cost when I build.
If you can find any Vifa P13's then perhaps the DIY reference may fit the bill.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25590&highlight=

P-13's were about $90 each, add 2 tweeters @ $50 aprox.

If you wanted an open baffle floor stander then Jaycar have some really cheap drivers, but with limited power handling.
How big is your room and what construction??

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Alexis I'd take Andy up on his offer, Rabbitz lives in Newky as well.
With a generous offer like that you should be able to turn up a winner.
That little Wavecor driver looks OK too.

Andy;-) I'm hanging on to the Jaycar Carbon woofer as I've sold off all of my KEF drivers.

Regards
Ted

Yo Moondog,

That's ok, Sorry for not getting back to you, a big Uni seminar I had to do, got in the way. :xeye:

I have decided to try one of these Hi-ef things. Picked up some of the Selenium comp drivers that were DOTD on PE (I'll turn up some wave guides for them). Some Beyma 6MI80's as well. Gunna match them with a pair of the old 15" Jaycar PA drivers. (they are luvly drivers).
So I don't really need the 10's after all. :cool:

I've been thinking of trying that 5.5" Wavecor as well, but would want to use one of the small faceplate Wavecor tweets, so will wait until they come back into stock

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
The big problem with Zaph's designs ( brilliant as they are ) is that the drivers he uses are not always avaliable from Australian suppliers.
When you factor in postage from OS what was a bargain often isn't.

Driver selection in Australia is a little sparse and very expensive when compared to the UK and USA for instance, tyranny of distance and all that. For example we pay double the USA price for Shiva Tempest subwoofers

For $300 I wouldnt bother with building a DIY. I bought a pair of Jensen SPX-7 from eBay for about $350. Very solid built, decent sound (for non-OB standard). $1000 when new.

But if you must and have bit of allowance :D then ... OB with the following drivers would do:

Tweeters: 2x Vifa TC26 $50
Mid: 2x Cheapish Vifa or jaycar mid $120
Woofer: 4x 12" woofers $160
Two 45mmx1200mmx18mm MDF $25

About $50 for the active XO on breadboard. Then you need to source two stereo amps. Gainclone will set you back $200 or just buy used amps at cash converter for $100.

Things can be upgraded with decent Vifa tweeters and Mids (ie. P13WH) and Eminence alpha 15" woofers. But price will skyrocket.

ashaw said:
What is a good book on speaker design?

really a noob at this.

The bottom 2 in this list are very good. The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook is the better but can be heavy duty but makes sense after you've built your 10th speaker. ;) Speaker Building 201 is easier but less info.

http://darcheraudio.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10_25

Unless you are going to design and build heaps of speakers or just want to learn you are better off finding an existing proven design.

from my phone discussions with Alexis, it seems that he doesn't really have much more room than for a single 6.5" TM design, (although he would like something bigger ;-))

I suspect he will end up building this style with probably the 6.5" Nomex Peerless and the Peerless HDS tweeter.
or at a pinch, if he find the room, an MTM version. in which case maybe the 5" nomex in an MTM might be better for his room.

Alexis, if you want a lend of LSDC etc , no problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.