HDS 810921 Tweeter with Fullrange Driver (XO-help) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2008, 09:41 PM   #11
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay_WJ

We may be able to distinguish between different power responses due to coaxial vs non-coaxial driver placement. But in this case, strictly speaking, what we hear is simply different power responses, not the distant sources per se. And I don't think a dip in power response around the xover point due to driver offset is necessarily a bad thing. Some may find it less fatiguing to their ear.
Exactly, I just meant that a coax will behave easier for best coherence using a crossover. I was not referring to the distance but the geometrical benefit. We can do that with controlled dispersion too, a 'la Geddes.
It's not only a dip, if it isn't doing symmetrical stuff or won't add timely in the far field it gives it self away. You are right in principle. There is finite distance that if 2 sources time well are perceived as one. In sound reinforcement they usually digital delay correct at 5 times the woofer diameter or double the cabinet height.
Old 9th September 2008, 08:47 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Big thanks Jay,

It will take some weeks, but I will test the Notch filter you kindly provided and see how it goes.

I actually already tried to pair the F200a both with HDS and a Fostex supertweeter (FT96H) using Behringer DCX digital XO and number of different XO points and slopes. When crossing lowish say 4000-8000Hz some sharpness disappeared, but so did also imaging (which is very nice when I run F200 fullrange single handed).

Now I wanted to skip the Behringer DCX all togther and that was reason I asked here opinions regarding passive solution.

Any further comments/views are appreciated and if not, I will report back result when available.

Thanks again

LageB

Hide this!Advertise here!