“Dual” amp plate amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2008, 01:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default “Dual” amp plate amps

Do any plate amps sold in Australia (or anywhere) include the amp for the sub driver, the crossover . . and also amplification for a single satellite speaker?

Ie effectively take a line level source and provide the basis for a simple active speaker. It would likely be a "non optimal" crossover, but provide simple effective flexibility for HT speakers

Thanks
Old 7th September 2008, 01:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Or does a normal plate amp take a speaker level source, provide the crossover, provide dedicated amplification for the sub driver, and pass the speaker level to the non sub speaker - avoiding any need for “dual” plate amps?

Thanks
Old 7th September 2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I'm not aware of any plate amps with more than one amp on board.

Most plate amps take a speaker level source, which could then be split off to a satellite.
Old 7th September 2008, 06:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here is one sold by Madisound:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=369

Regards,

Dennis
Old 7th September 2008, 08:00 PM   #5
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

QUOTE :
Here is one sold by Madisound:

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/pr...products_id=369

Regards,

Dennis

END QUOTE

I have that exact one sitting beside me right now. It's a well made amp for the price if you can live with the power output.

Mark
Old 7th September 2008, 11:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The "mother" HT amp is 100 W/ ch, so while Madisound’s Kiega plate amp has the feature I want, 50 W & 2* 25 W is probably a bit too much of a sacrifice.
Old 8th September 2008, 03:40 AM   #7
discl is offline discl  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you dont mind class D then you might want to check out digmoda at http://www.digmoda.com they do 3way 500w/250w/250w plate amps with dsp crossovers that I've heard are meant to be good. They also support 240v/50hz
Old 8th September 2008, 06:20 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks discl

The digmoda looks pretty good. Class D can be good, esp for bass. its all in the execution. Though as its just to make the bass better on the side speakers in a HT, importing them wouldn’t be justified.

So I probably will just get one of the Jaycar amps. Their 350 w with remote control of both volume and crossover frequency I think was $300, but is now $200 (bought while the $A was up?).
Old 9th September 2008, 05:25 AM   #9
discl is offline discl  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've got 5 of the Jaycar 350w modules and use them with the jaycar 12" kevlar (rebadged hivi http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=64) drivers.

I found that they sound good with the cheap kevlar drivers but sound horrible with my dynaudio 30w100s (which have a less stiffer suspention). Not sure if this is something to do with the driver's BL or the amp's dampening factor but the dynaudio's sounded very boomy/uncontrolled with the jaycar amps but fine with my other amps. So you might want to see if you can get them on loan and test them with your drivers first.

You also need to be aware of the inbuilt bass boost on the jaycar plate amps but this can be eliminated/modified to suit your needs if need be by following the instructions on the following page: http://www.customanalogue.com/critical_q_sub_av_v.htm
Old 9th September 2008, 12:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Discl

> sounds horrible with my dynaudio 30w100s

That’s hard to fathom . .

> can be eliminated/modified to suit your needs if need be by following the instructions on the following page: http://www.customanalogue.com/critical_q_sub_av_v.htm

Thanks kindly for that info

> the inbuilt bass boost

I thought that this was 6 db boost at 35 Hz was switchable?
Do you know if it’s a peak centred at 35 Hz, or increasing boost as frequency drops (like a normal bass control)??

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!