Make a Comment on my 15inch sub - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2003, 03:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile Make a Comment on my 15inch sub

http://www.geocities.com/sc00byd0159/mikessub.htm

link

some room gain can be 6-9db if in the corner,ive heard.
if this could fit in my car, that would be interesting also

comment on it it can be build very soon,order the driver in a few weeks.

im going to get another 100watt module and bridge 200watts x1 @ 8ohm later.

slowly but surely.
:-D
Old 26th March 2003, 05:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hope your not planning on putting it in the corner, though. Cause some wierd phase problems if you do that. depending on the size of the room, you should probably put it a third of the way back from the front wall. That is not for sure, but it will be better than the corner. A corner might work better if you had another sub in the opposite corner, though.
Old 26th March 2003, 08:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thanks

there is alot of info on room placement il have to read up on it.

i kno that my little sub in the corner already,does definately have some loud and quiet spots in the room.

it is possible to put it Not in the corner :-D(just)

after its build il use cooledit to see if theres any harmonics in the output etc just to see if cooledit can do it.

Old 26th March 2003, 06:31 PM   #4
TheoM is offline TheoM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default comment on sub

There's lots of sub 35 hz material in most music and in most instruments. I guarentee it, I've measured it, and I record it all the time. Its in the attack of strings, in particular.

The signal light on my sub amp - crossed over at 75 hz - goes on when an acoustic guitar player strikes any note. As you know, the attack of a string is noise - important noise and noise by definition is all frequencies (including low frequencies) . Hell, the attack of a bass string goes down to DC (0 hz) momentarily. Most engineers will filter this out for recording, but lately a lot of guys will leave low string attack in there and just sculpt it a bit, taking out stuff below 20 hz.

In my experience its all important to phase align the infrasonic with the mids - the resulting punch and realism is stunning. The low end is like underwater - once you live with great phase aligned low end for a while there is a whole new world to be discovered - and 55 hz may be technically low end, but the fun just starts there. I can actually move my head one foot in my studio and hear a 25 hz phase cancellation right where I would predict it based on the sub directivity, the room length, and the wavelength. Do I have too much time on my hands or what?
Old 26th March 2003, 07:35 PM   #5
CarMan is offline CarMan  United States
diyAudio Member

Did you look at adire audio's maelstrom? Also, the planet audio z-15 subwoofer might be ok for you but you'd have to contact the company about thiele small parameters, or measure them yourself. It looks interesting for a subwoofer designed to cause a small earthquake with minimal power. Sound quality is always a gamble on the unknowns, but usually the parameters give you a very good idea.
Old 28th March 2003, 01:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

the maelstrom i would buy if i had more power

200watts rms into an 8ohm speaker is all i have.
if i used a 4ohm speaker with my amps bridged id hve a 2ohm load for each amp cookn them.

and running it in series voice coils,wud give me 8ohms with 3db less efficiency.im not a fan of sealed boxes..

the shipping costs to New Zealand are horrendous otherwise i would consider it.

thanks
Old 28th March 2003, 01:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

theom
>>There's lots of sub 35 hz material in most music and in most instruments. I guarentee it, I've measured it, and I record it all the time. Its in the attack of strings, in particular.

using cooledit 2000 freq response measurement,my music does not have much information below 40hz if it does its lower amplitude than at the normal 40hz+ region anyway.
i have made some tunes with some 12.5hz-30hz its fun considering my kenwood headphones can only do 20hz ,but u can hear it.(i sent those mp3s to my friend link who has his 18inch 350litreor so ported box.

some recordings will have some low freq stuff.
but im an enthusiast not a freak lol another link

what do u use to measure the low frequency energy/
i have heard of onebut forget the name it shows the bass area quite well

when i can afford a large amp and a 18inch ported box
or a 30hz basshorn then i will have a system thats ok.

Old 28th March 2003, 08:16 AM   #8
CarMan is offline CarMan  United States
diyAudio Member

If you can afford it I'd set the system up to be able to play -3db at 10-15hz. When I had a little sport coupe my sub played flat down to 30hz, had about 4db hump at 25hz, and was less than -3db at 10hz, and it makes a big difference (compared to flat down to 20hz and drop off quickly afterwards) in the sound of a lot of synthesized bass, and the lower end of a bass guitar. I'm new to the group delay stuff, but having the port tuned below 20hz will ?help group delay above 20hz? This would keep the audible spectrum more transient?
Old 29th March 2003, 01:08 AM   #9
Larin is offline Larin  Norway
diyAudio Member

Dont know if this is anything you'd be interested in but it is some very high SPL bass units.
http://www.cadaudio.dk/bcprisl.htm
Old 30th March 2003, 08:44 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

carman: use winisd to check the group delay.i think high group delay is near the port resonance

Hide this!Advertise here!