Which would you use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Which of these speakers would you use?

Currently on my system;
Celestion Ditton 15XR with uprated tweeters.

Available as alternatives:
Gale Gold Monitors
Wharfedale Linton 3XP

I am going to put two pairs into storage and use just one pair, so which should go into storage and which should stay? More to the point, are any of these any good or should I be scraping my pennies together to get something different altogether?

Thanks for your advice guys, my apologies for still asking "green" questions...

I can understand different speakers having different tones and such, that makes sense. The thing I find a little hard to believe is different power leads making a difference, things like that. I don't understand how a silver mains cable is better than a normal one, especially when you have smoothing caps after the rectifier to give you a nice smooth DC output, with a reserve of current if high current draw spikes are encountered. Surely smoothed DC is smoothed DC, and the cable used on the AC, pre rectified input is fairly academic, as long its of reasonable quality. The same argument could be used for speaker spikes, I don't yet understand those. In aircraft we use antivibration mounts to isolate things, I have never seen a spike used.

Either its an audiophile BS filled minefield or there is some truth in it I don't fully understand yet. High end audio seems to be filled with stuff like this.

My field is aircraft flight test instrumentation: I design and build military flight test recording and instrumentation systems with minimal noise and the lowest weight possible to operate in -50 degrees centigrade up to +80 degrees centigrade, and we don't put as much effort or as posh materials into our systems as some audiophiles! :bigeyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.