Coating coated paper cone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I got two pairs of polymer coated paper cone midbasses. But the rubber surround was getting unstuck from the cone. So I thought i would try to fix it and applied a rubber-based glue. Sadly, the whole thing got messed up. I then used a cyanoacrylate super glue to stick it up. But the cone is a bit of a mess. Could anything be done to restore its looks? I was thinking some diluted PVA glue would help. Or should I just forget about aesthetics and use them as they are.

Thanks and regards,
Vivek.

Applying PVA or something else on the cone might cure any visual problems but will give you a different driver with different characteristics.

Basically more mass and less compliance.

I have read somewhere that glueing specific addons to the face of the B139 driver was some form of art in designing TL subwoofers with that driver. Experimental and black magic.

Vivek,

If you apply one or two thin layers of rubber based treatement (only on the cone, not on the surround), the added mass will only eat a small fraction of a decibell on the entire fr range...not audible.
I used Visaton LTS 50 with great success (twelve layers resulted in -2db)

Hi,
I have a pair of drivers which I use for experimentation. I coated the cones with PVA glue and found that the layer is very thin.
Yesterday, I went to the electronics market and spoke to a guy who is running a speaker recone business. I asked the guy what glue he uses to stick cones. He even led me to the shop where the glue was available. The glue seems just like the other rubber-based adhesive but easier to use.
I was thinking that I would give the cones one layer of PVA or rubber glue and use them for the rear surrounds and the centre channel. I could get better drivers to build front MTM speakers for two channel audio and home theatre. What do you guys think?

Vivek

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.