nobbie Insignia project! - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2008, 09:45 PM   #11
BERENO is offline BERENO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here is my experience with the Insignias.
I read your post a while back very carefully, it actually helped me decide to buy them. I was finally able to see someone's experience that was not designing their own mod. thanks for the reply
Old 5th September 2008, 12:26 AM   #12
peter_m is offline peter_m  Canada
diyAudio Member

Bereno,
I was supposed to help a friend build his HT system round the Insignias and it never happened. He actually drove from Canada to the US to purchase the speakers but then decided they were too big for him... He has the biggest, most empty basement to be used as an HT room... How can the speakers be too big, I DON'T KNOW!

Glad I finally helped someone take an enlightened decision.

Peter
Old 5th September 2008, 01:19 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
He actually drove from Canada to the US to purchase the speakers but then decided they were too big for him... He has the biggest, most empty basement to be used as an HT room...
Haha I'm envious of his basement So he was going to build a HT around the insignias?? he must not have very high standards for audio... I only bought them because Im a starving college student with no money!
Thanks again
Old 5th September 2008, 01:56 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BERENO

... he must not have very high standards for audio... I only bought them because I'm a starving college student with no money...
Don' under estimate them. For the money you will get some bang for your buck. The home-made x-over will allow you to say: "I made that". The overall quality and potential loudness these speakers will allow will make you one of the better equipped students in your school.

I really think you will be happy.

Peter
Old 5th September 2008, 02:00 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Well like I said, I am getting them because of the "bang for buck" ratio... plus it will be fun to build, and they sound very decent. However, I am used to my dad's Altec Voice of the Theaters, so these exist in their shadow...
Old 5th September 2008, 02:05 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Like these Altec?

Ok those are serious speakers...
Old 5th September 2008, 03:19 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Yup those are them. He had the coil on them "re-wound" as my dad says it to match the A-7 I believe... He got them for next to nothing from a guy who did not know what he had. They they used to be in an older movie theater, and when someone bought it, they decided to renovate the sound system, among other things. My dad who used to be in construction was overseeing part of the project was able to get his hands on these at a steal. So he built the box to speck, and had the coils redone. Good to go at a fraction of their cost! Great speakers
Old 8th September 2008, 07:15 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Did you get around to updating your XO this weekend? I did not see an update on the site...
Old 8th September 2008, 08:31 PM   #19
dlr is offline dlr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BERENO
Dave,

Did you get around to updating your XO this weekend? I did not see an update on the site...
I haven't updated the web pages. I won't do that until I'm sure of what I want to add to it and until I've actually constructed/measured the crossover I'll put it. In the mean time, I did upload some screen captures of the crossovers as I've listened to them using the digital filter in SoundEasy. It let's me listen to any crossover no matter the complexity or cost. Now, though, I have to decide on the compromises I'll make in actually building one.

I've got two of mine listed, Dennis Murphy's and a comparison. Note that on the latter there's a drop in the top octave of a full db in mine. My original one was almost a perfect overlay with Dennis', but I found it a bit fatiguing over time so I lowered the tweeter level, just my preference.

I'll be constructing the first one, but I have another one that is a bit better. I rushed to capture/upload these last night, so I think that I'll have a small change from the first one below. That one shows the peak that occurs by simply removing the (uneconomical) trap.

Simplified without the 1K trap

Simplified with the 1K trap

Dennis Murphy XO with modded woofer

Click the image to open in full size.

All of these are with my woofer tweak, including Dennis' crossover. Without the mod, the dip would be several db deeper with much higher Q. My page on tweaking the woofer shows the difference in the raw response before/after.

Click the image to open in full size.

The values are shown for each crossover. I can't say when I'll update my page to include a BOM, but you can work one up yourself if you're looking to do it sooner. Most values are standard, at least using the Solen catalog.

One last note. Mine is a non-symmetric XO, something of 5th order LP and 6th order HP. Due to the driver being coaxial (not coincident, there is a tiny relative acoustic offset), the response has no lobing issues no matter the type or axis. This allows almost any combination that yields a reasonably flat response. The connection is direct, not inverted, even with the unusual slope combination. There will be woofer off-axis rolloff, but a decently low Fc takes that into account. I'll put details in my web page update, but again, that may be a while.

Dave
Old 8th September 2008, 09:38 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Dave,

Thanks! I am wondering though, the XO schematic on Dennis' site is slightly different than yours; his has no resistors following his inductors, where yours has these added into the schematic. Will that change the sound of the XO?

here are the links to both schematics:

yours
his woofer
his tweeter

Hide this!Advertise here!