Performing Artist Soundsystem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking around this site for the past couple of days part time and decided to finally register. This place is great !

As the title mentions im interested in creating a DIY PA soundsystem for my DJ performances.

The main reason why I ended up finding this site was a quest for a Bass Bin of some sort that could satisfy my need for response around the 20hz-30hz range. Mainly because I play alot of Dubstep and Drum and Bass music.

I then began reading and basically came to the conclusion that for a minimal price I could construct speakers to cover the mids and highs as well that would also kick maximum *** on the dancefloor.

So I guess what this thread is turning into as I find my clarified vision while typing ... is ... a well rounded PA soundsystem able to deliver above average audio quality.

I'm not expecting any handouts here - I've tried the search function and didn't really find anything targeted at this usage for speakers so I'm asking kindly if anyone could offer up some advice and or links I could do for homework before posting my next question.

any help is appreciated
thanks,
~ meta:D

My first advice is: Dont overestimate the deepness of the bass. The picture i posted is the maximum level spectrum of a typical dubstep track, in this case "Benga - ZeroM2". The graph begins at 20hz, each vertical line is 10hz more. You will notice, that this track has a sharp highpass at 40hz, meaning that no musical content below 40hz is present. This is the case for maybe 90% of the current dnb and dubstep. The last 10% have the lowest bass note in the 30s, mostly a few db lower than the peak level, which usually is at 40 or 50hz.

If you build a sub to satisfy this, you dont throw out money and space, since for each hz you go lower, it will be more expensive and bigger. Consider a sub with a -3db point around 35-40hz and you will have everything you need.

Danley Sound Labs TH115 is said to be a good one for these frequencies, if you want to buy a sub. Or have a look into the tapped horn thread to build your own.

Attachments

• neu bitmap.jpg
    neu bitmap.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 73
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.