newbie question - sorry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You *can* just do as you listed above but may not be happy with the results. There are a ton of free resources available on the net (google search speaker building, subwoofer etc) that even include tutorials and optimum box design suggestions depending on the driver selection.

What are your design goals? Home/Car? Slam/Audiophile? What drivers are you using?

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm

http://www.loudspeakers101.com/Sound.htm

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

Try some of these resources. Despite the fact that some refer to car audio many of the principles covered apply to both car and home audio applications.

Hey Matt,

It's as simple as you want it to be, or as hard as you want it to be....

There are lots of kits available where you get all the bits and just build a box, or you can choose your own drivers and build your own crossover...

My main questions would be:

How big is the room you want to put them in?
What amp do you want to use with them?
How loud do you want to go?
How much do you want to spend?
What music do you listen to?

and,
Why do you fancy a horn?

Cheers

Rob

How big is the room you want to put them in?
about 12' square

What amp do you want to use with them?
the gainclone im building

How loud do you want to go?
comfortably loud, not for partys, just normal listning

How much do you want to spend?
as little as possible

What music do you listen to?
heavy metal, rock industrial etc.

i dont know if i want a horn, ive seen them but i dont know anything about them.

Matt,
Like Rob said, it is as simple as you want it to be.
I have an idea for you, that you may or may not like:
go for a two way the first time out. If you need more bass, build a subwoofer later using one of the plate amps with the built in adjustable crossover. That way, you can easily tune it to your system. Look on the net for an already designed project, and copy it.
I will tell you straight up... a well done cheap two way will walk all over a cheap 3 way because:
1. you're only dealing with one crossover point- it's not easy to get the crossover right on a 3 way, let alone using cheap drivers with uneven response.
2. you can dedicate more money to each driver- better quality drivers.
If you would go for a 2 way with something like a 6-1/2" or 7" midwoofer, and a decent tweeter, in a medium sized cabinet, you will end up with a good all-around speaker,most likey.
Another option would be to find a good fullrange, and possibly supplement it with a tweeter using just a cap on the tweeter (first order). Some people here have had good results that way. Just a few suggestions... hope this helps.
Steve

Hi:

Hi:

1) What is the purpose of building this speaker? Do you want to a) listen or b) use it as a first learning project and have a diy hobby?

If you want primarily to listen use a kit or something that is designed by someone with experience. And for first attempts simpler is better. There are plenty of tried and tested configurations out there.

2) If your room is 12x12 spend a little time on that too.

3) How much exactly do you want to spend?

Cheers
Craig Ryder

Re: Hi:

Ryder said:
Hi:

1) What is the purpose of building this speaker? Do you want to a) listen or b) use it as a first learning project and have a diy hobby?

i want to listen to it.

If you want primarily to listen use a kit or something that is designed by someone with experience. And for first attempts simpler is better. There are plenty of tried and tested configurations out there.

i want to build one from scratch, maybe with plans.

2) If your room is 12x12 spend a little time on that too.

what do you mean?

3) How much exactly do you want to spend?

i have no idea of the prices of drivers.

id prefer to have the bass drivers in the speakers as i havnt got room for a subwoofer. or can i mount it on the wall too?

Speaking of newbie questions... Is there a formula finding right cap for a desired crossover point?

Find the impedance of your speaker at the desired crossover frequency (impedance graph is usually supplied by the manufacturer)

Capacitor= 1/(2*pi*desired Xover freq*speaker impedance at this frequency)

Sorry it took so long. Our server here has been down for hours!
Steve

id prefer to have the bass drivers in the speakers as i havnt got room for a subwoofer. or can i mount it on the wall too?

You can stick it anywhere in the room that you want, since it won't be producing frequencies that the ear detects as directional. I have mine in a closet right now! A couple benefits to having a seperate sub:

1. only 1 bass driver means that you aren't exciting room modes from two different points, which could lead to some funky cancellation.

2. You can position the sub where you have the most even bass response in your room. As others have pointed out, you are going to have problems in a room that is square.

my room isnt perfectly square, there is a built in closet and the dor is at a 45 degree angle (see image).

what can i do about the square room?

Attachments

• room.gif
    room.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 307
There isn't a whole lot you can do for a square room on a budget... the problem is that bass sound waves don't respond to damping materials like higher frequencies do. You actually have to build what is called a bass trap to modify the room response at low frequencies. These can be huge, depending on the frequencies involved. Your only option, realistically, is going to be experimentation with speaker placement. I don't know what furniture you have in this room, or what the listening position will be, but it may take a lot of listening and moving furniture around to get everything optimized. You might want to pick up a book called "the master handbook of acoustics" by Everest (If I remember right). It goes into simple explanations of how room acoustics work, and what can be done to fix some of the problems.
I still recommend using a subwoofer and seperate smaller speakers. This will give you maximum flexibility in getting good bass response, and still allow you to place your midbass/tweeters in a convenient listening position. But, hey- do what you want! It's your system! Hope it all works out well for you.
Steve

HI all....

Hi:

can i mount it on the wall too?

This is a bit of an issue too. Mounting to a wall usually infers a close distance from the wall. You might get a speaker that is great on paper but is not particularly good close to a wall.

Capacitor= 1/(2*pi*desired Xover freq*speaker impedance at this frequency)

There are lots of helpful equations like this ( and lots of folks at this site who understand them better than I do!) but understand that they are the starting point. You just do not plug numbers in and come up with a great x-over. (drivers, for example, have there own inique reactance and contribute to the passive crossover. Formulas do not generally take this into account and assume an ideal(resistive) load of some sort) This is why I suggested a kit or a tried design.

The suggestion to use a sub I think is almost always good because placement of speakers is important and the best place to place woofers as opposed to mids/tweeters is almost always different.

Cheers
Craig Ryder

if i can have the subwoofer anywhere in the room, ill have a seperate one.

does anyone have any plans? can i alter the sizes on plans or are the mesurements critical?

Why don't you tell us what you're looking for, and then maybe we could recomend something.
Remember cost, size, music preferences, how much amp power, etc. Just a general idea will help.
Have you looked into building some of the tangband W3-871 1.5ways (two 3" drivers, one crossed over fairly low to boost the low end, the other full range)? People are saying good things about them. With a subwoofer you could have a very nice system for fairly cheap.
Altering the plans will depend on what they are first... There may be some room for alteration, maybe not. I'll help where I can, but I don't know what is sold in your country or what you want to spend. Hopefully someone else can help you out who is from your neck of the woods.
If it were me, I would go the tangband route, and build a little subwoofer with a single 10" ported enclosure with one of the subwoofer amps available all over (has low/high level inputs, crossover frequency control, and hopefully phase control (which may really come in handy with your room).
If you're not into tangbands, there are a billion two-way bookshelf systems on the 'net. Vifa P17WJ's work really well with a simple network because they have a fairly nice natural roll-off. You will find a lot of info about them if you look around (search google). You have a lot of options. Now start listing what you want out of them so we can narrow it down for you. :nod:
Steve

how can i tell if i have a blown tweeter? when i put the balance control on my amp to one side, there is no treble. the speakers are goodmans mezzo SL, or thats what i says on the label on the back. is there any hope of fixing them? could a wire have broken off inside?

the a shouldnt be there infront of the pound sign on the previous post by the way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.