Help me design a horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
unknownuser200 said:

im not sure what to use....

As Dr. Geddes noted, you use the drivers best suited for app, which so far about all we know is that your desire for a large driver HT horn sub implies a concert hall size space you're trying to fill along with several hundred cubic feet of space available to put it, so if this isn't the case, then please give us enough details/dims to offer more than generalities.

GM

since im lacking information ill fill a little in

this room will be completely dedicated to HT

its an older sony str-de485 which is a 5.1 receiver 80wrms x5

here i drew up a basic model of the room

Myroom2.png

if its a little hard to read the room dimensions are

16'9.5" x 14'5.5" x 8'6"

from some research ive done i would like to put 1 cabinet in each corner DO not worry about the lack of room by the door

for a total of 4 cabinets

i would like to do something completely over the top

i would like to use 1 18 inch driver per cabinent but i will settle for 15's

i was hoping to use 1 exodus maelstorm-x 18" or 1 tempest-x 15" per cabinet

i will accept other subwoofers if there better suited for my application budget per subwoofer itself (not including amplifier and cabinet materials ) is 450$ max EACH SUBWOOFER

i would like a descent a great response from 80hz -20hz (ish)

i want to retain good sq

so all and all SQL

No more than 30 inchs in depth and 7'6" in height

hoping to use 1 ed LT/1300 Plate ampifer per subwoofer (Ed Lt/550 is smaller subs are choosen)

hows that? did i leave anything out if so BE specific to what you need to know

Ps.... before i forget... though the primary purpose of this application is hometheather use it will also have to play music on some point or another.... so factor that in as well

You should order and read my book on home theater. The first few chapters are free on my website www.gedlee.com, but the rest of the book is what you need.

DON'T do four corners. Thats a big mistake. And DON'T go for lots of bass and sacrifice the upper end - you won't like it in the end. Balance your budget like this: 75% front 3 mains, 20% subs and surrounds and the final 5% on electronics (excluding video of course). Now if you have about $2000 to spend on subs, then you should be able to get some really nice mains.

I've been in home theaters with lots of bass and the first few minutes are great, but by the end of the movie I was sick of the bass, and the movie too. HT is not like a CD that you only have to listen to a bass heavy song for a few minutes. A bass heavy movie that goes on for two hours or more will make you physically nausious.

The importance of bass quality for HT was the reason that I did so much work to get the bass right. I have viewed over a thousand films in my theaters (almost ten years now) and good bass is critical to low fatigue, and low fatigue is critical to enjoyment of the film. There is nothing worse than having a good film ruined by a porr sound system.

You can also read reviews of my theater on my web site.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.