Ceiling corner mount loudspeakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2008, 11:09 PM   #1
pelanj is offline pelanj  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Default Ceiling corner mount loudspeakers

As my new apartment is getting stuffed with furniture, it seems that there will be only few possible placements for any loudspeakers I will build in future. The room is 4.1 x 3.2 x 2.1 (l x w x h in meters). The speakers should be placed along the longer wall. There will be also furniture along that wall up to around 1.9 m. I can put the loudspeakers either in the uppers corners or to the joint of the wall and ceiling. The last possibility is to put the "boxes" on the furnture itself with angle down to the listening position. Which kind of loudspeakers in which placement would you recommend? I was even thinking of placing a Yamaha sound projector above the TV - but I do not know how does it perform for stereo. I am not a fan of home cinemas in a small room and I will be mostly listening to music.
Old 27th August 2008, 05:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

As an installer, I have had nothing but trouble out of the sound bars, in the video swithing department. As far as sound, they are ok but even a novice diyer could do better, in my opinion. I would make a small 2-way "satalite" to go into the upper corners on a pivot wall mount. In most cases, there are 2x4s in the corners and should be every 16inches from there. Hope this helps some.
Old 27th August 2008, 01:50 PM   #3
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

How about on-wall speakers? Shinobiwan has rendered a picture of a pair of two way on-wall speakers. The shape of the cabinet is particularly interesting. (its a few pages back from the end in his huge *** thread).
Old 28th August 2008, 09:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

peanut123: I have brick walls, co I can drill just about anywhere I wish

JoshK: Nice, but out of my diy skills

My main concern was, that this placement outrules just about any design (open baffle, horns, etc.) except traditional box loudspeakers which I wanted to avoid. Nevertheless, I am beginning to think about a pair of high quality headphones...
Old 28th August 2008, 09:39 PM   #5
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

understood. Shin's diy skills are far and away at a level beyond mine. But the concept of his on-walls still intrigue me.

For those who may wonder which idea I am referring to, here is the picture...

Click the image to open in full size.

from page 65 of
LGT construction diary
Old 29th August 2008, 01:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I know that what I am about to write is not a DIY thing but have you considered actually buying a set of on-walls. Vienna Accustics make some beautiful and very nice sounding on-walls. They are alittle pricey though. Or how about some Anthony Gollos? Just trying to help out.
Old 30th August 2008, 07:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Even if it is too big, the fifth post here could be an inspiration and seems to demand only a basic skill level.

Something like this can be placed very flexibly. Maybe combined with a small subwoofer hidden somewhere.

Or maybe you have narrow spaces at the sides of your furniture. Than something like this could be an option. It is only 12,4 cm wide without the bottom plate. Possibly still performs well, when scaled down to four or five chassis at ear level.
Old 31st August 2008, 10:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

pacificblue, thanks for the suggestions, I found an interesting TQWT with the tangband driver - Cyburgs Needle - that could fit. It should work for low level listening.

Hide this!Advertise here!