Tang Band W6-789S 2 way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry to ask for something like this but i don`t know how to get started otherwise so here goes.
I wonder if somebody could model a crossover for me so i could then tweak it by ear to get it right. I know it`s beyond my skills as i have no software or measuring equipment but i`m hoping someone may be able to help. I have a pair of Tang Band W6-789S woofers and a pair of Vifa D26NC-55-06 tweeters. I`m hoping these will make a relatively simple crossover possible due to the TBs smooth roll off. I`d like to put these in a floostanding cabinet of about 1.5 cu ft.
Opinions?

castlesteve said:
Sorry to ask for something like this but i don`t know how to get started otherwise so here goes.
I wonder if somebody could model a crossover for me so i could then tweak it by ear to get it right. I know it`s beyond my skills as i have no software or measuring equipment but i`m hoping someone may be able to help. I have a pair of Tang Band W6-789S woofers and a pair of Vifa D26NC-55-06 tweeters. I`m hoping these will make a relatively simple crossover possible due to the TBs smooth roll off. I`d like to put these in a floostanding cabinet of about 1.5 cu ft.
Opinions?

Just to note that i`ve looked all over the web for designs using this woofer and drawn a blank.
steve.

Yeah, when they went on sale a few months back I looked high and low for any comments on them with no substantial results.

They look like a decent woofer, but the lack of third party tests on them kept me from purchasing them. When they clearance them out (because apparently no one is buying them) they will make a good buy I think.

Steve,

I modeled a crossover for you. This is a result of my full modeling that takes into account baffle diffraction/loss and bass response. The baffle used is 8.5" wide and 37" tall. The tweeter center is located 2.75" from baffle top and offset by 0.75" horizontally. The midwoofer center is 8.5" from baffle top. The modeled vented box has 1.4 cu ft (40 liter) internal volume with 40 Hz tuning.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The crossover occurs around 2 kHz. The D26NC55 has no problem handling this xover point, according to Zaph's distortion measurement. This is a nominal 8 ohm design. Will be a benign load for any amplifier---lowest 4.8 ohms at 4 kHz.

As you may know, TB's published specs are usually not very accurate. The available specs are for the non-shielded W6-789D, not for your shielded W6-789S. According to Zaph's measurements of W5-704S and W5-704D, TB's specs are particularly not accurate for Qts (lower than actual). But the accuracy of frequency responses is not bad, only 1 dB or so higher than actual. My modeling was based on all this information and used data adjusted by my best guesses.

You'll need to fine-tune the crossover by your ear. In the crossover schematic, I suggested ranges of component values you may want to try. Refer to the section "Voicing your speakers" in my following web page:

http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spkrbldg/DesigningXO.htm

If not a perfectionist, I'd tweak only the tweeter padding (R9) and go with the default values for others (C1 and L3).

Let me know if you have any questions.

-jAy

Jay_WJ said:
Steve,

I modeled a crossover for you. This is a result of my full modeling that takes into account baffle diffraction/loss and bass response. The baffle used is 8.5" wide and 37" tall. The tweeter center is located 2.75" from baffle top and offset by 0.75" horizontally. The midwoofer center is 8.5" from baffle top. The modeled vented box has 1.4 cu ft (40 liter) internal volume with 40 Hz tuning.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The crossover occurs around 2 kHz. The D26NC55 has no problem handling this xover point, according to Zaph's distortion measurement. This is a nominal 8 ohm design. Will be a benign load for any amplifier---lowest 4.8 ohms at 4 kHz.

As you may know, TB's published specs are usually not very accurate. The available specs are for the non-shielded W6-789D, not for your shielded W6-789S. According to Zaph's measurements of W5-704S and W5-704D, TB's specs are particularly not accurate for Qts (lower than actual). But the accuracy of frequency responses is not bad, only 1 dB or so higher than actual. My modeling was based on all this information and used data adjusted by my best guesses.

You'll need to fine-tune the crossover by your ear. In the crossover schematic, I suggested ranges of component values you may want to try. Refer to the section "Voicing your speakers" in my following web page:

If not a perfectionist, I'd tweak only the tweeter padding (R9) and go with the default values for others (C1 and L3).

-jAy

Jay,
You`ve made me a very happy man. Thanks so much for the schematic. I will build these and fine tune as you suggest. I`ll post some pics of the build and let you know how they turn out.
Thanks again and what a great hobby this is!
Steve.

:D:happy1::D

castlesteve said:

Jay,
You`ve made me a very happy man. Thanks so much for the schematic. I will build these and fine tune as you suggest. I`ll post some pics of the build and let you know how they turn out.
Thanks again and what a great hobby this is!
Steve.

Yeah, please let me know how they turn out. Adjusting BSC by experimenting with L3 is relatively a bit difficult compared to other adjustments. I'm pretty sure the default 2.2 mH will work for you. I recommend using a Jantzen P-Core or Erse Super Q inductor for this value.

As for the driver positions on the baffle, you have some flexibility. If you want, you can move the woofer a little upward to make its spacing to the tweeter tighter. Also you can center the tweeter without an offset. These changes may affect the tweeter's diffraction pattern slightly. But fine tuning the tweeter network by adjusting R9 and C1 values will take care of these minor FR changes to your liking.

-jAy

W6-789s 2 way.

Jay_WJ said:
Steve,

-jAy

Jay,
just a note to say thanks for the design. I`ve been playing these for a few weeks now and am delighted with them. I have them in a pair of mltl cabs and the bass response is very good. Highly recommended for a pair of good affordable speakers.
Regards, Steve.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-11/1327024/meetspeakers.jpg

Jay_WJ said:
Thanks for the update, Steve. Glad to hear that you like it. Did you fine tune the crossover? If so, what component values did you end up with?

Jay,
I went with the not too fussy approach and settled on a 3.0 0hm resistor on the tweeter and a 2.0 mh coil on the woofer circuit. All other values are the same more or less according to what i had in my parts box. I must say however that the Tangband is a fine woofer. It reminds me somewhat of the old Vifa P13 but with much more bass.
Thanks again, Steve.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's a shame that not more people use this driver - it's a good one.

My fault that your search did not turn up anything - I wrote the model # wrong in this thread.

It really can play both high and low and has a nice sounding midrange. I was using 2 per box (bass reflex) and a horn tweeter. The wide range of this driver makes it easy to super cross as it will actually play up to about 12K.

I never did get the tuning of the box right, so went on to open baffle stuff, but I still like the driver. A buddy of mine bought a pair to use with the Hi-Vi planar tweeters in a 2 way. Don't think he ever built it. Pity....

castlesteve said:

Jay,
I went with the not too fussy approach and settled on a 3.0 0hm resistor on the tweeter and a 2.0 mh coil on the woofer circuit. All other values are the same more or less according to what i had in my parts box. I must say however that the Tangband is a fine woofer. It reminds me somewhat of the old Vifa P13 but with much more bass.
Thanks again, Steve.

Not a problem at all as long as you're satisfied. Enjoy!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this build! I've been looking at this driver for a long while. Is the 92 dB sensitivity really true? That's impressive for a driver with such a flat response.

I've no place to question, but why did you decide on the 2K cross? The Tb goes so much higher, would it be better to cross it higher and get more of a Full-Ranger effect?

PKNJ said:
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this build! I've been looking at this driver for a long while. Is the 92 dB sensitivity really true? That's impressive for a driver with such a flat response.

Since Steve seems to have no problem with the current mid-tweeter balance, the TB must have at least 91 dB sensitivity because I used about 4 dB baffle step compensation.

I've no place to question, but why did you decide on the 2K cross? The Tb goes so much higher, would it be better to cross it higher and get more of a Full-Ranger effect?

Good question. I just wanted to make the design have good off-axis dispersion by minimizing the midwoofer's beaming effect and widening the filter's vertical lobe around the xover frequency. You could certainly cross them at 3 k to 4 kHz, but you'd have a null around 3 k to 5 kHz in the power response. Also, it will be an insult to the Vifa D26 :) A cheap Dayton neo can do the job in that case.

gtforme00 said:
Yeah, when they went on sale a few months back I looked high and low for any comments on them with no substantial results.

They look like a decent woofer, but the lack of third party tests on them kept me from purchasing them. When they clearance them out (because apparently no one is buying them) they will make a good buy I think.

Are there any other woofers that compare for less than $150?

Very sensitive, they go high, they go low, they have a fairly easy top end to work with.

Seems like the only real comprimise is they won't give much bass out of a very small box?

I have a pair of these that I'd almost forgotten about. I don't have any of those little Vifa tweeters though. I'll have to get a pair or two before they're gone.

Almost every driver I look at that I like much stops being produced by the time I finally decide to try some.

I recently picked up a Morel MDM-55 - I thought I'd try it out before I bought a pair, now, Parts Express doesn't carry them anymore! And they're $90 each at Madisound! Argh.

Jay, you're so helpful, I couldn't believe that other forum banned you, if I didn't know what j***s they were.

I'll have to go ahead and build something similar to your crossover in this thread, but I might use a pair of SB Acoustics TWD25NH-05-08 tweeters that I have, I'm sure I'll have to tweek the crossover some...

Here's the tweeter I'm talking about: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8264

critofur said:
I'll have to go ahead and build something similar to your crossover in this thread, but I might use a pair of SB Acoustics TWD25NH-05-08 tweeters that I have, I'm sure I'll have to tweek the crossover some...

Here's the tweeter I'm talking about: http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8264

Hi Crito,

I'm not sure how low the TWD25NH can be crossed. I guess the crossover may need a significant change.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.