How's your image ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2008, 08:01 AM   #11
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Hi,
Another nice link -- thanks
Quote:
Originally posted by gainphile
Try dipole speakers and ES Posthumus songs
Once had a listen to the Celestion SL6000 subwoofer system that was used to partner the original SL6/600-- shown on the stand. It certainly added that missing bottom octave.
Back to the image "thing". I suspect from what you guy's are saying it's probably a combination of several of the ideas and theories mentioned. I wonder if the effect would be similar if the speakers were taken out of the listening room and put in free space. All very interesting.
The last speakers I built ( My dad built with me ) were some large floorstanders using Peerless 10 inch bass and matching mid and I think an Audax soft dome tweeter. From Badger Sound in the UK if anyone remembers them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monopole.jpg (21.7 KB, 101 views)
Old 26th August 2008, 12:38 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Hi croat47,
maybe it's just a question of paying attention (to the sound, in that case). Truly you're right, our audition system is "forward biased" and supposed to allow better localization of sounds coming from front and sides. But a sound coming from behind is setting our brain in alert mode, so we are more attentive to it.
What we hear is not what our ears perceive, but what is sorted from these perceptions, consciously or not.
Psychoacoustics is a very interesting domain, not very much discussed in forums where technique is dominant (as always).
Old 26th August 2008, 12:57 PM   #13
peter_m is offline peter_m  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Funambule
Hi croat47,
maybe it's just a question of paying attention (to the sound, in that case). Truly you're right, our audition system is "forward biased" and supposed to allow better localization of sounds coming from front and sides. But a sound coming from behind is setting our brain in alert mode, so we are more attentive to it. What we hear is not what our ears perceive, but what is sorted from these perceptions, consciously or not. Psychoacoustics is a very interesting domain, not very much discussed in forums where technique is dominant (as always).

This makes sense to me, only complicates subjectivity a little more

Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!