The Power of Room Acoustics - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2003, 08:09 PM   #1
toenail is offline toenail  United States
diyAudio Member

Default The Power of Room Acoustics

After much fiddling with speaker placement I finally found a way for my DIY speakers to play with nearly flat frequency response down to 35hz. I had no idea how much a role that room size and shape, and speaker placement played in affecting the performance until reading some of the tidbits on the Decaware website.

Previously I had an enormus black hole from 65-75hz and peaky perfomance all over the 40-110hz range including a resonation at 50hz that was mind boggling. It was really ruining my ability to enjoy music. After redesigning the speakers to play flat to 55hz (according to winisd modeling) and still encountering the same problems I looked further into room acoustics and speaker placement. Bingo! Talk about something for nothing.

I ended up moving both speakers to a different wall in the living room, facing toward the open french doors that enter the room. Now when I listen to acoustic jazz bass scales all the notes are in sync with each other. No more +10db, -7db irregularities that were driving me nuts. Additionally I gained on the bottom end from 35-45hz where it had previously rolled off. I wouldn't have thought the extra 10hz would make that big a difference but it actually tamed the mids and highs a little, as well as giving the extra thrill of really deep strings.
Old 26th March 2003, 04:44 AM   #2
tg3 is offline tg3  United States
diyAudio Member

The white papers at the Harman International site are required reading on this subject.

http://harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=default
Old 26th March 2003, 02:55 PM   #3
toenail is offline toenail  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that link. That's exactly the info I've been looking for. Time to go read for a while.

Hide this!Advertise here!