Troels' design has been completed (JA8008/TW034 DTQWT)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Should be between $900-$1000 if the prices are the same as what I checked a while back. At that point it was $880 plus shipping for two finished speakers worth of JA8008 + TW034 + crossover - this kit just adds the big toroid inductor for the woofers.

So call it ~$1100 plus shipping to buy the kit and the 4 Pioneer woofers.

Sean

After checking the writeup on Troels website for this speaker, at the bottom of that writeup is the cost.

$1210 + shipping, shipping is expensive from europe, then add the cost of the woofers 4x38.50 + shipping so far the total not including shipping for all components, minus cabinets,damping material is $1364, I would say you are looking at just components costs of $1700 including shipping, it may be higher, so best to contact Jantzen. Still I would think this is still a bargain for this type of speaker. If I had the money I would build it.

"To my ears, this is the best speaker I've ever made - and the biggest! 150 liter brutto volume is what you have to be prepared for should you decide to follow. From the front it seems fairly modest, 28 cm wide and 105 cm high, but depth is 50 cm and it will require some 20-25 cm minimum to the rear wall to breathe. Overall sensitivity is 95 dB/2.8 volts and having a minimum impedance of 6 ohms, it can be driven by low-wattage SET amps. I do not recommend 2 watts SET; these amps need 98-100 dB minimum no matter what manufacturers may claim. I have no trouble driving the DTQWTs from my 8 wpc 300B SET amp. Deep powerful bass - and that very special 300B midrange. With a proper 300B SET amp you can play these speakers for hours and hours without listening fatigue, a clear sign of low distortion and proper balancing of drivers." - Troels Gravesen

Jantzen quoted me $1070 with shipping to Seattle for the JA8008 + TW034 kit. I feel this would make an outstanding 2-way system, or adding the extra drivers for a few hundred dollars would make a 3-way that would be hard to rival. The other part of this build that is appealing is that the wood working is relatively simple and requires mostly straight cuts unless you want to get fancy. The issue right now for me is the funds or I would be building away...

Hello guys,

I haven't build Troels' speakers, sorry, but I had a chance to hear a few tracks on the speakers at Troels' place a few days ago. My impression from the brief listening session was that these speakers do sound very good indeed! They have a very natural tone while at the same time being lively and open. There is a lot of presence to the sound, which I like a lot (I have a large horn rig myself). The speakers are very coherent and well balanced. I could not hear the crossover points at all. Human voices are very clear and natural. The bass may not go super low, but the bass that is there is fast and punchy.

Troels is very knowledgable and has devoted a lot of time and effort to these speakers. If I were looking for a new pair of speakers within that price range and foot print, I think I would go for these. To me the speakers sound like a bargin for sure!

Best regards
Peter

pk said:
Hello guys,

I haven't build Troels' speakers, sorry, but I had a chance to hear a few tracks on the speakers at Troels' place a few days ago. My impression from the brief listening session was that these speakers do sound very good indeed! They have a very natural tone while at the same time being lively and open. There is a lot of presence to the sound, which I like a lot (I have a large horn rig myself). The speakers are very coherent and well balanced. I could not hear the crossover points at all. Human voices are very clear and natural. The bass may not go super low, but the bass that is there is fast and punchy.

Troels is very knowledgable and has devoted a lot of time and effort to these speakers. If I were looking for a new pair of speakers within that price range and foot print, I think I would go for these. To me the speakers sound like a bargin for sure!

Best regards
Peter

A pair commercial speaker of that quality would cost within $5,000-$10,000.

pk said:
Hello guys,

Best regards
Peter

Did you listen to his pair of DTQWT or TQWT speakers?

...The bass may not go super low, but the bass that is there is fast and punchy...

Peter

Hi,

could you please elaborate on this, a bit more. :)
What kind of music did you listen to, where the speakers driven with 300b or something else, which bass drivers (beyma, eminence or else) where installed on the speaker pair you have listened, how big was the room...?
Just a few qustions to mention...:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.