Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please help with crossover
Please help with crossover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2008, 05:48 PM   #11
BlueWizard is offline BlueWizard  United States
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Just a thought, but is there a chance you have mixed up the 8 ohm R1 and the 3 ohm R2?

Do the tweeters sound generally loud relative to the woofer?

From a quick look, it seems the G2si is 6 ohms; 6 ohms in parallel with 3 ohms (R2) is 2 ohms. So, the overall impedance of the L-Pad Circuit plus the tweeter is 10 ohms. Simply math tell us that 80% of the signal is lost across the 8 ohm R1 leaving 20% of the signal across the tweeter.

If the resistors were reversed, the tweeters would generally sound louder than they should.

So, again, the 8 ohm should be in series with the tweeter and the 3 ohm should be in parallel.

It's probably not a problem; it was just a thought. I made the same mistake recently in rewiring my speakers.

  Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 07:30 PM   #12
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.
Join Date: Nov 2005
Please help with crossover
My thought too...something fishy going on with those resistors
but then, I suppose those tweeters are ribbons, and they may need lots of attenuation
Also, IF those resistors are right, the change they make are/should be incorporated in xo
Its not easy, but I have learned that a lot may be gained from playing a bit with those resistors
sometimes we know very little, and sometimes we know too much
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 08:21 PM   #13
richie00boy is offline richie00boy  United Kingdom
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member
richie00boy's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Please help with crossover
Have you actually listened to the summed output to make sure it sounds in balance? Just listening to one driver can be very misleading.
www.readresearch.co.uk my website for UK diy audio people - designs, PCBs, modules and more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 01:01 PM   #14
A Sanchez is offline A Sanchez  United States
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Thanks for all your replies.

Yes I have listened to the summed up ouput and also made sure that no resistors were mixed.

I think everything is all right and that all the problem was in my mind.

What happened is that I had been listening to the Jordan drivers as full range. Since the top end of these drivers is very linear and the speakers were placed too low, I got used to hear lots of mid and low frecuencies. Then at the sam time I added the ribbons and crossovers I placed the speakers in proper stands, which meant that the sound coming out from the system was just totally different and I felt that something was wrong. This is what made me listen to the tweeters and woofer separatelly as, as I said, I did not want to blow up my tweeters.

Anyway, now I have got used to the "new" sound of my speakers and I really like it and also I have played very loud music and the tweeters did not blow up. So, yes it was all my imagination.

Thanks again

  Reply With Quote


Please help with crossoverHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossover for vifa 2 way setup - how can I find out what this crossover is doing? Tino Multi-Way 11 17th May 2009 04:21 AM
Help me with a crossover. raypalmer Multi-Way 4 5th April 2009 01:48 AM
Passive crossover into active crossover hahfran Multi-Way 16 10th February 2008 06:16 PM
Crossover help please :) Tenson Multi-Way 17 15th April 2006 09:34 AM
Can you hear the crossover point of a speaker with a well-designed crossover? 454Casull Multi-Way 11 2nd April 2004 05:48 AM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 16.67%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio